• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cash IN HAND to become 501c(4)

crdonov

I am currently in the process of returning the money sent to me to become a 501(c)4. You should see the funds returned to you in a couple of days if you sent them via paypal and I can either A) tear up your check that you sent me, or B) write void on it and return it to you. Your call. It's going to take me a couple days for paypal because I have to request a history of the transactions then move the funds from the MOCA bank account back into paypal and issue the refunds. Thanks all for your effort... we tried.

this SUCKS!!!

XD-OVER!!!

jonjon_jon

this SUCKS!!!

XD-OVER!!!

I'm sure you're a deeper thinker than this sucks!

Idea's suggestions or thoughts XD?

I followed these forums long enough to know you're one of the stongest supporters. I really would like to see you to offer more input and idea's. I'm personally interest in creating a future for Maine Open Carry just as you are and believe each one of us have something to offer.

You're right about the 501c a it's disappointment for many of us. Rome wasn't built in day and time marches on but remember the foundation we set today however small it seems, will be one less stone other open carriers will have to turn over in the future. Shane has brought us a long way, a few years ago no one would have even considered open carry myself included.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm sure you're a deeper thinker than this sucks!

Idea's suggestions or thoughts XD?

I followed these forums long enough to know you're one of the stongest supporters. I really would like to see you to offer more input and idea's. I'm personally interest in creating a future for Maine Open Carry just as you are and believe each one of us have something to offer.

You're right about the 501c a it's disappointment for many of us. Rome wasn't built in day and time marches on but remember the foundation we set today however small it seems, will be one less stone other open carriers will have to turn over in the future. Shane has brought us a long way, a few years ago no one would have even considered open carry myself included.

That ladies and gentlemen is a real measure of the success.

Shine a bright light on something and most people will be able to see it. :D

sraacke

Just sharing some thoughts and observations.

The difference at this point in time is that LOCAL has a solid core of dedicated, committed people working in unison.

Even so they have suffered somewhat with the same malaise - apathy of potential new members. It takes time and nurturing to make such an organization grow. Drumming up additional membership in the early stages is the most difficult but necessary function. Without the interest any group will wither, no matter how noble the cause.

Hi guys. I'm Steve, Secretary of La Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL). I am glad that you have seen our new website to be in inspiration. As Grapeshot pointed out, we have struggled to grow and evolve since we were founded. Let me assure you, it takes work. Open Carry is a small minority of the gun culture and is highly disputed in many circles. It will take time to find members and keep them. When we first strted meeting we had about 10 members show up at the Shoneys resturant. We worried that we would soon outgrow the meeting room. We were wrong. Three years later we still only have about 7 to 10 members for each monthly meeting. Sometimes less.

Like you we considered registering with the State as a 503c Inc or as an LLC. We even had a member who is self employeed bring his business lawyer to a meeting to talk to us about tax laws and the pros and cons of incorporating. In the end we, as a group, decided that we would not incorporate for the time being. We may do so in the future but at the moment LOCAL is a unincorporated, grass roots organization.

Other things we learned along the way you may want to know...
The website you saw? We started planning that not long after we formed in 2009. We took donations from members and set it aside to pay for it. We had two seperate members in two years take the job of coordinating getting the webpage built and failed before I voluntered to do it. I contacted the designer and worked with him and the rest of our membership on coming up with a design and then getting it put online.

Before we had a webpage we used a discussion forum but it was very limited and not user friendly or informative to those wanting to learn more about us or Open Carry. We asked our members for donations to pay to register our domain names (laopencarry dot com, dot org and dot us as well as Louisianaopencarry dot org, dot com and dot us). We had to pay to have the forum hosted too. We only had about 15 members and they all dug deep to help pay for these expenses.
We have tried to get out and get tables at gun shows to get our message out. As Grapshot mentioned, we have also suffered from lack of members, and that hindered us each time we tried to get enough volunteers for our tables. So after 3 years we still have not been able to man a gun show table. Hopefully we will accomplish this in 2012.

We came up with a trifold brochure/pamphlet and printed up hundreds of them on cheap, regular copy paper in Black and white print. Nothing fancy. No color ink or heavy weight paper. We just had a member print them on his zerox at work. Then we gave them to members to put out. We would go to gun shows and, since we didn't have a table, we would get the managers permission to put them on the entrance/exit table for people to take. Most shows have tables at the entrance or exits with fliers or calendars for upcoming shows and that's where we would put our pamphlets. We contacted CHP instructors and gun shops or ranges and asked them to put our pamplets in peoples hands. CHP instructors would include our pamphlets along with other handouts in classes. Gun Shops and ranges would put our brouchure on their counters where customers could pick them up. We also place our pamphlets on public billboards (right next to the Lost puppy fliers, etc) and other places where businesses allow space for free periodicals such as the Penny Trader magazines and free legal help fliers.

We contacted media and mailed out dozens of letters telling La based TV news directors, Newspaper editors and radio hosts about our group. We included a pamphlet with each letter. We went to our Secretary of State website, found lists of elected officials including Sheriff's, Constables, City and Court Marshals and many Police Chiefs. With this list we mailed out hundreds of letters and pamphlets to these LE officials telling them to train their staff on the legality of OC in Louisiana. We mailed similar letters to the commanders of each State Police troop and even some city police district commanders.
All of this work was done by less than 20 LOCAL members who donated money to by stamps, envelopes, printing and other expenses. As Grapeshot said, a small core group of willing, active members.

Don't discount the internet and social media. We put up a Facebook page and a Twitter account. We put meeting announcements not only on OCDO but several other gun discussion boards. We posted videos on Youtube.
At times I have been distressed by our lack of growth. I have found support from people on this forum like Grapeshot, who gave advice and moral support. We have had regular meetings in the southeast part of the state near New Orleans since the beginning. One of our members on the opposite side of the state, up in the Northeast, in Shreveport has tried to get a meeting organized and failed to get anyone to show up. He has found a new meeting place and is currently drumming up interest in another meeting. So we are still fighting the good fight.

Don't give up. Put the incorporation plans on the back burner, grow your group and get the word out. Then come back and revisit it. Look to others in other states and other groups (like VCDL) who have been there, done that. Learn what you can from them and keep your spirits up. We are right here with you.

Good Luck.

Steve Raacke,
Secretary,
LOCAL

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Hi guys. I'm Steve, Secretary of La Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL). I am glad that you have seen our new website to be in inspiration. As Grapeshot pointed out, we have struggled to grow and evolve since we were founded. Let me assure you, it takes work. Open Carry is a small minority of the gun culture and is highly disputed in many circles. It will take time to find members and keep them. When we first strted meeting we had about 10 members show up at the Shoneys resturant. We worried that we would soon outgrow the meeting room. We were wrong. Three years later we still only have about 7 to 10 members for each monthly meeting. Sometimes less.

Like you we considered registering with the State as a 503c Inc or as an LLC. We even had a member who is self employeed bring his business lawyer to a meeting to talk to us about tax laws and the pros and cons of incorporating. In the end we, as a group, decided that we would not incorporate for the time being. We may do so in the future but at the moment LOCAL is a unincorporated, grass roots organization.

Other things we learned along the way you may want to know...
The website you saw? We started planning that not long after we formed in 2009. We took donations from members and set it aside to pay for it. We had two seperate members in two years take the job of coordinating getting the webpage built and failed before I voluntered to do it. I contacted the designer and worked with him and the rest of our membership on coming up with a design and then getting it put online.

Before we had a webpage we used a discussion forum but it was very limited and not user friendly or informative to those wanting to learn more about us or Open Carry. We asked our members for donations to pay to register our domain names (laopencarry dot com, dot org and dot us as well as Louisianaopencarry dot org, dot com and dot us). We had to pay to have the forum hosted too. We only had about 15 members and they all dug deep to help pay for these expenses.
We have tried to get out and get tables at gun shows to get our message out. As Grapshot mentioned, we have also suffered from lack of members, and that hindered us each time we tried to get enough volunteers for our tables. So after 3 years we still have not been able to man a gun show table. Hopefully we will accomplish this in 2012.

We came up with a trifold brochure/pamphlet and printed up hundreds of them on cheap, regular copy paper in Black and white print. Nothing fancy. No color ink or heavy weight paper. We just had a member print them on his zerox at work. Then we gave them to members to put out. We would go to gun shows and, since we didn't have a table, we would get the managers permission to put them on the entrance/exit table for people to take. Most shows have tables at the entrance or exits with fliers or calendars for upcoming shows and that's where we would put our pamphlets. We contacted CHP instructors and gun shops or ranges and asked them to put our pamplets in peoples hands. CHP instructors would include our pamphlets along with other handouts in classes. Gun Shops and ranges would put our brouchure on their counters where customers could pick them up. We also place our pamphlets on public billboards (right next to the Lost puppy fliers, etc) and other places where businesses allow space for free periodicals such as the Penny Trader magazines and free legal help fliers.

We contacted media and mailed out dozens of letters telling La based TV news directors, Newspaper editors and radio hosts about our group. We included a pamphlet with each letter. We went to our Secretary of State website, found lists of elected officials including Sheriff's, Constables, City and Court Marshals and many Police Chiefs. With this list we mailed out hundreds of letters and pamphlets to these LE officials telling them to train their staff on the legality of OC in Louisiana. We mailed similar letters to the commanders of each State Police troop and even some city police district commanders.
All of this work was done by less than 20 LOCAL members who donated money to by stamps, envelopes, printing and other expenses. As Grapeshot said, a small core group of willing, active members.

Don't discount the internet and social media. We put up a Facebook page and a Twitter account. We put meeting announcements not only on OCDO but several other gun discussion boards. We posted videos on Youtube.
At times I have been distressed by our lack of growth. I have found support from people on this forum like Grapeshot, who gave advice and moral support. We have had regular meetings in the southeast part of the state near New Orleans since the beginning. One of our members on the opposite side of the state, up in the Northeast, in Shreveport has tried to get a meeting organized and failed to get anyone to show up. He has found a new meeting place and is currently drumming up interest in another meeting. So we are still fighting the good fight.

Don't give up. Put the incorporation plans on the back burner, grow your group and get the word out. Then come back and revisit it. Look to others in other states and other groups (like VCDL) who have been there, done that. Learn what you can from them and keep your spirits up. We are right here with you.

Good Luck.

Steve Raacke,
Secretary,
LOCAL

thank you for that. i think that we needed this.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Ok, so I suppose we will do this: Who wants to have their money returned to them, or who wants to put it towards a new website for MOCA (with the name change in place) and towards printing and mailing expenses to get the word out.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Ok, so I suppose we will do this: Who wants to have their money returned to them, or who wants to put it towards a new website for MOCA (with the name change in place) and towards printing and mailing expenses to get the word out.

I didn't give much but you can keep mine. I'll send more money when I can. I think it's vital that every state has a dedicated 2nd Amendment organization. Keep up the fight!!

jonjon_jon

Ad for Uncle Henry's in Guns and Firearms.

Opencarriers, I'm considering where we're at and where we're going. Will reply to request for monies in short order.

In my opinion the next move with what little funds we have is to drum up support and more funding. This add or something like it, is what I think should be done with some of the monies we raised. Opinions thoughts on the idea?

MOCA is a small group of Concerned Firearm owners currently trying to form polictical action committe to strengthing your firearms rights to carry openly and concealed for personal protection. We need your help, please visit us at opencarry.org maine forum or maineopencarry.org Donations gladly accepted and very much appreciated to make this dream a reality.

I think we could do something like this for very little money and with some luck gain enough donations to pay for adds weekly. If it works in Uncle Henrys we could branch out to other papers through out Maine. It would be trail and error but what in life isn't?

Last edited:

lvhllkr

I think the uncle henry's idea is great, also I noticed facebook mentioned.. might be worth looking into. They have a nice setup for posting events and stuff. I wish I could have donated some money already but funds are tight for me right now, hoping I'll be able to donate when I get my tax return. I've only open carried once so far..(through Lewiston from my house to the trails) but I love what the group has done/is doing, and as soon as I get a vehicle again I'll become much more active with the group. Don't give up the fight guys!!
:edit: Also wanted to add something.. like someone else was saying.. before I found this group and read all about open carry in Maine, I never would have considered it. When I lived up north in the woods on my own property of course I would, but would never have thought about just going for a walk through town to the trails or anything like that. Only thing that scares me are the gun-free crime-zones we call schools, hard to even go across the city without entering one of those darn zones.

Last edited:

jonjon_jon

In my opinion the next move with what little funds we have is to drum up support and more funding. This add or something like it, is what I think should be done with some of the monies we raised. Opinions thoughts on the idea?

MOCA is a small group of Concerned Firearm owners currently trying to form polictical action committe to strengthing your firearms rights to carry openly and concealed for personal protection. We need your help, please visit us at opencarry.org maine forum or maineopencarry.org Donations gladly accepted and very much appreciated to make this dream a reality.

I think we could do something like this for very little money and with some luck gain enough donations to pay for adds weekly. If it works in Uncle Henrys we could branch out to other papers through out Maine. It would be trail and error but what in life isn't?

I guess I'll ask this question a different way, this is your money. Does anyone object to me sending request to Shane to place the above ad in Uncle Henry's and see what happens? If you do please speak now. If you want your donation back please tell us now these funds were sent in for 501c and there has been change in direction so you do have the right to withdraw.

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
also, if you would like your money back feel free to pm me and I will send it... that way nobody will know, strictly confidential! I also think that we should make a new website with the name change... although a few people have expressed concern about changing the name. opinions?

Lepine1

Change of Focus

If you have decided that Gun Owners of Maine Go_ME is .gong to be the new name, then that needs to be the target. Flood the internet with the name change announcement. But first, have a new site created with that name change where people can go to learn about us. The name change announcement will attract people to the site but once they get there we need to get their interest and hook them in.

Gun Owners of Maine will attact more people then Open Gun Association of Maine. However, we need to agree of what we are and are not prior to doing anything.

I am willing to help get this accomplished if this is what theleadership whats to do.

The current money collected could help pay for any web site changes that are required to set this up.

jonjon_jon

If you have decided that Gun Owners of Maine Go_ME is .gong to be the new name, then that needs to be the target. Flood the internet with the name change announcement. But first, have a new site created with that name change where people can go to learn about us. The name change announcement will attract people to the site but once they get there we need to get their interest and hook them in.

Gun Owners of Maine will attact more people then Open Gun Association of Maine. However, we need to agree of what we are and are not prior to doing anything.

I am willing to help get this accomplished if this is what theleadership whats to do.

The current money collected could help pay for any web site changes that are required to set this up.

All good points worth consideration. The leadership as of right now is anyone that is willing to be involved. We have long way to go, but the good news is we have lifetime to get there.
As you state flood the internet? How do you suggest we do this?
MOCA, anyone who reads newspaper in Maine is aware of the work we've done. (Short on funds there are other idea's on table that deserve at least consideration).
Are you coming to bowl? We'll have chance to meet and exchange idea's.
Please send your email to mainecarry@hotmail.com (This list is being compiled for the future you may not recieve email for months or years but when the time is right I will make contact)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
---snip---

Best option is to have monies donated to be used w/o restriction to further the cause in Maine.

jonjon_jon

Best option is to have monies donated to be used w/o restriction to further the cause in Maine.

I agree with you Grapeshot, you know my position on this by now. MOCA should stay. What little funds we have should be used to create more users and more donations. I have suggested a small add in Maine's Uncle Henry, Gun's and Firearms which is read by hundreds if not thousand's of gun owners per week. The problem is that democracy is messy and other points of views will alway's have to be considered. Everyone is welcome to attend the bowling night and you're also all welcome to tell us what you can do for maine open carry? I know some of you personally and have been there with you on few opencarry's. You have done so much and tried so hard but things haven't worked out, but you all certainly deserve the respect of all of us. I'll throw this one last thought on the table for all users, can I get 10 opencarriers to pledge 5 bucks per month to the cause. I for one would be willing to donate 5 bucks per month for the cause. Shane or I will make public what the monies are spent on. If you'd like to donate please email me at mainecarry@hotmail.com when I have 10 pledges Shane or I will start accepting monies. And of course please feel free to donate at anytime at maineopencarry.org

Last edited: