• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carjackings/home invasions soar across Melbourne

DW98

Latest crime figures say that carjackings have increased by 80% in the past year. Big increases have been seen in home invasions or 'aggravated burglaries' too.

An example from earlier today. What a tragedy they couldn't defend themselves properly.

13 teens arrested after carjacking

A 12-year-old girl has told of a shocking Apex Gang attack on Monday night in which she was pulled out of her family’s luxury car at St Albans and told she would be killed.

The gang of thieves pounced on the family while they were in their vehicle.

The 12-year-old said she was two terrified to be identified.

“First thing they opened was the boot so we can’t lock the door,” she said.

“They went to my dad’s car… door… theu pened the door and threatened to kill everyone.

“So, like: “We’re going to kill you if you don’t get out, give us your keys, give us everything”.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/320...r-robbery-car-theft-in-melbournes-west/#page1

The above follows a string of similar carjackings in recent weeks where the drivers were attacked with hammers and baseball bats.

Other home invasions in the following suburbs in Melbourne across the past week. I believe in all cases the offenders were armed with some sort of weapon. As with the carjackings, the residents were assaulted in the majority of the cases.

Berwick
Pakenham
Caroline Springs (4th in the neighbourhood within 2 weeks)
Point Cook
Essendon North
Glenroy
Taylors Lakes
Deer Park (resident was shot multiple times but managed to stab one of the intruders)
Narre Warren
Airport West
Williams Landing

And earlier in the week two men were arrested after a siege at a motel over four armed robberies (involving firearms). A few days before a man was arrested and charged over a following 14 gunpoint robberies in the south-eastern suburbs.

DW98

And more usual shenanigans that a reporter documented on during a 4-hour ride along on Sunday night.

Copying this from an article in today's paper.

Local police officers tell us they have dealt with as many as 36 jobs — or an average of one every 13 minutes — in a single eight-hour shift.

“I’ve worked in this area a long time, and there is very little let-up now,’’ Sen-Sgt Hastings says.

“Night shift was always a chance to get your breath, and that doesn’t seem to happen too much any more.

“You just don’t know what you’re going to get.”

4 Hours On Patrol With Sgt. Hastings

Springvale - Bottle shop held up at knifepoint by two teenagers, one of which is charged over other recent robberies.

Dandenong - Man flips stolen car/carjacks bystander who stops to help.

Endeavour Hills - 40 people brawl in street outside party.
- Teenage boy attacked and robbed.

Noble Park - Man leads police on high-speed pursuit/torches car.

- Six police officers attacked with bottles after being called to disperse a crowd of 150 youths gathering outside restaurant. Up to 30 of which attacked police. Officers deployed OC spray and offenders dispersed (no mention of any arrests).

- Man assaulted walking to car outside train station (sustained serious injuries). Wallet and car were stolen.

Dandenong South - Reports of 200 people gathering at illegal street racing event (no arrests).

And two home invasions, which are mentioned in the earlier post.

Pakenham - Home invaded by three intruders. Search of area fails to locate offenders.

Berwick - Five residents set upon by six men wielding extendable batons (no arrests).

This country is royally screwed unless we stand up to this crap.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The Olivia-Newton John gang ? What did Hastings do, just drive by? Seems like his 4 hrs would have been sucked up by just handling one or two of these incidents.

You guys need to get some guns. Its clear Hastings isn't doing too much to prevent this stuff.

DW98

The Olivia-Newton John gang ? What did Hastings do, just drive by? Seems like his 4 hrs would have been sucked up by just handling one or two of these incidents.

You guys need to get some guns. Its clear Hastings isn't doing too much to prevent this stuff.

He's probably a supervisor. Shows up to the scene, gets some statements and sees that the coppers there can handle it, then moves on. Sad thing is that the figure listed of an average cop attending up to 36 calls per shift doesn't include all the ones that they can't get to because they're so under-resourced. I've seen the results of this in my area, particularly in the past few years.

The police were on the radio today warning people against buying things to defend themselves with, saying that it's better to be a victim basically. This country has become truly pathetic.

Firearms Iinstuctor

The police were on the radio today warning people against buying things to defend themselves with, saying that it's better to be a victim basically. This country has become truly pathetic.

Our bend over and kiss your Ass good by lost on 9/11 the country realized that one can no longer placate the criminal element.

It has been a slow process of stand your ground laws and seeing self defense as a right. But we are turning around.

davidmcbeth

Banned
He's probably a supervisor. Shows up to the scene, gets some statements and sees that the coppers there can handle it, then moves on. Sad thing is that the figure listed of an average cop attending up to 36 calls per shift doesn't include all the ones that they can't get to because they're so under-resourced. I've seen the results of this in my area, particularly in the past few years.

They are not under-resourced. They just can't tell people "a cat meowing? we're not coming for that"

DW98

They are not under-resourced. They just can't tell people "a cat meowing? we're not coming for that"

Ha, we're not quite THAT ******* (yet). In my suburb, response times are shocking. Priority calls (stabbings, armed robberies, shootings) are taking 20 minutes. Anything else and you could be waiting hours. Hell, for burglaries/criminal damage they might not show up for a day or more. About three weeks back we had a shooting and it took half an hour for the cops to get there. In my greater area there be at best one patrol car out at any given time and the local station now closes at 6 PM. I can't see it getting better anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator: