• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1000 feet from a school?

Bull Frog

imported post

http://www.greatschools.net/california/sunnyvale/schools/

This shows a map of Sunnyvale schools, with addresses, and so on. Plotting a 1000 foot perimeter is somewhat more complicated. I have never used one, but perhaps an old military grade range finder can answer your worries. Just how far away are three plus football fields? This is the most ridiculous firearms related statue in California. Keep school kids from bringing guns to school? Yes. Restrict law abiding citizens whom choose UOC by imposing ridiculous restrictions? No.

We should not be required to carry range finders. Write your California representatives and demand this silly restriction be removed from the system. One more step toward LOC; our constititional right.

My first impression, after studying the map, is that vast areas of California citys are off limits for UOC, for no logical reason whatsoever.

Bull Frog

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Our representatives have legislation in front of them to expand this 'gun free school zone' to 1,500 feet. Sources "in the know" believe it will most likely pass this year.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

just use mapquest or google maps and it has a 1000 ft line on the bottom left. Print screen that page into paint and copy and paste that line 4 different ways around that school.. North, South, West, East.. then draw a circle around those points and there you have it.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

1st step I forgot to put in, type in " *The City* schools" in google maps.Hope this kind of helps with this stupid law that I think only endangers children. I would just love to drop mykid off at highschool and see some nut job startkilling kids and then realize I left my gun locked in the trunk because of this lawas the nut job is walking up to my car.

1000ftlaw.jpg

Decoligny

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
1st step I forgot to put in, type in " *The City* schools" in google maps.Hope this kind of helps with this stupid law that I think only endangers children. I would just love to drop mykid off at highschool and see some nut job startkilling kids and then realize I left my gun locked in the trunk because of this lawas the nut job is walking up to my car.

1000ftlaw.jpg
In that case you have to remember that an automobile is a point and shoot weapon also. Point it in the direction of the gunman and push down on the accellerator. The end result will still be a dead gunman.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Why not have EVERYONE write to their elected representatives and local police chiefs. Provide them a copy of the 1,000-foot law. Tell them you really, really, really wish to comply with the law. Ask them to provide you with a map showing all of the 1,000-foot restrictions.

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Don't forget PC626.9 does not say "1000 feet from the center of the school (or where map software puts its pin)". It says "within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of the public or private school".

So if the school is rectangular shaped so will your 1000 foot border.

Bull Frog

imported post

bad_ace wrote:
Don't forget PC626.9 does not say "1000 feet from the center of the school (or where map software puts its pin)". It says "within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of the public or private school".

So if the school is rectangular shaped so will your 1000 foot border.

Exactly, and to call this legislation ambiguous is a colossal understatement. It has been stupid since birth; the only thing that will make it smart is death.

Bull Frog

Bull Frog

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Our representatives have legislation in front of them to expand this 'gun free school zone' to 1,500 feet. Sources "in the know" believe it will most likely pass this year.

Small steps are better than walking backward. I think the school restriction needs total abolishment, IMHO. :) If one can't stroll the neighborhood UOC, one is not free, and until LOC is the rule, well ... our rights are being infringed upon.

Bull Frog

Bull Frog

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Why not have EVERYONE write to their elected representatives and local police chiefs. Provide them a copy of the 1,000-foot law. Tell them you really, really, really wish to comply with the law. Ask them to provide you with a map showing all of the 1,000-foot restrictions.

I thought of that, and then to myself - like that's going to happen! You can bet with the computers in police cars, GPS, and all that stuff, that they pull up a map that shows your cell phone inside or outside of any school perimeterin the state.

Well, maybe not, but this sort of scrutiny is possible, if they have the budget to pay programmers to make it so. Scarey, is it not? Remember the film "Enemy of the State"?

Maybe I am being a tad paranoid.

Bull Frog

sumyungguy

imported post

I find this law to be absolutely ridiculous.

I contacted my representative and voiced my objections. Did I get a call back or an E-mail in reply? NO. The reps have this one on the table and us citizens (The ones that are entitled to free speech and explanations) are being ignored.

Perhaps we need some residents who live within the 1000 foot mark to file suit based upon "Equal protection under the law" or something similar. Why don't we have a "Southern Poverty Law Center" type of organization to help regular citizens who's rights are being trampled by "Politicians" who are simply trying to be re-elected by pandering to voters using the line "Protect our CHILDREN" ?????

I am fighting the good fight but I think this dumb 1500 foot zone is going to pass. And then what? 3000 feet? Where do they stop? 1 mile?

Incrementalism at it's worst......

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sumyungguy wrote:
Why don't we have a "Southern Poverty Law Center" type of organization to help regular citizens who's rights are being trampled by "Politicians" who are simply trying to be re-elected by pandering to voters using the line "Protect our CHILDREN" ?????
We have three organizations:

ACLU - which in CA doesn't seem to care that the SCOTUS has ruled the 2A an individual right.

CalGuns Foundation - which has CCW set as a higher priority. In fact, their litigation becomes easier as open carry becomes more restricted. (I honestly believe they intend to get to OC reform some day, but I believe that's several years away.)

Madison Society - small litigation group that brought us Nordyke. They're also fairly focused on CCW reform, but I've found the membership much more supportive of OC than CGN. Unfortunately, since they technically lost their appeal on Nordyke, they're not going to be able to recover their attorney fees, which means they're coffers are pretty bare.

KylaGWolf

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:

No kidding on that one not only are they extending the boundary they are also striking the in a lock container clause from the law as it was. Which will make it illegal to take your gun out of your house unless you have a garage you can put the gun into your trunk to get it to the range or a fenced in front yard driveway situation that would make private property as such.

Bull Frog

imported post

Imagine what it take to stay legal: An automatic self locking mechanism to lock your gun up when you get close to a school. Dumbest thing I ever heard of ... but guess what? Your politicians are just dumb enough to vote for it. Nobody ever accused them of having any brains ....

So you may find your self in the position of failing to protect your loved ones because your government said you can't do so.

Maybe time to say .... f*^$ you?

KylaGWolf

imported post

Actually they measure to the property line the reason they do that is there could be children on the playground. So any part of the school grounds counts in the 1000' rule.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Some argue that 626.9 says that "legally transported" as the exemption to non-concealable firearms. . . the definition of transported. Are you carrying or transporting when you OC a rifle?

Can you carry and not transport? Can you transport and not carry? It is the kind of danger zone. And since the DA's don't give legal advice you will never know unless they arrest, charge and convict someone that creates precedence.