• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Search results

1. G

VA Court of Appeals says Circuit Courts can't require ID for CHP applications

From VSSA: The money quote in the ruling:
  2. G

Sound Transit Rules (Snohomish, King, and Pierce counties)

As things are starting to get settled with our new house and baby, I'm starting to look for ways to get involved again with advancing the cause here, like I did in Virginia. I haven't been carrying lately, largely because I am waiting for my Washington permit to arrive (finally applied on...
  3. G

Farewell, Virginia!

Sadly, I will not be able to join any of you at Lobby Day. As I mentioned last month in the Washington forum, I am in the process of moving to the Seattle area for a new job (and to be closer to family). Keep fighting the good fight. While I will not be there in person, I stand ready to help...
  4. G

Looking at moving to the Seattle area

Due to changing family situations (i.e. child #4 due in April and we need a bigger house), my wife and I have decided to abandon the DC area and head to the "other" Washington. I have family in the Spokane area, but the jobs for me (as a Linux admin) are primarily in the Seattle area. I've...
  5. G

November Elections - I'm Screwed

I have the misfortune of living in the 35th Senate District. On November 3, my options on the ballot are: Dick Saslaw (D) - Do I really need to say more than that? We're all familiar with Dick's long history. Terry Modglin (IG) - From his website: I'm strongly tempted to vote for Modglin...
  6. G

Dick Saslaw Town Hall 1/17/2015 - OC allowed, for once

I just got an email with an invite to this event. The location is, for once, not carry restricted. I would make it myself, but I'm already committed to replacing a friend's alternator at 9:30am. If anyone else can make it, it would be great for Dick to see that some of us still believe in and...
  7. G

Fire Mission: Dick Saslaw's 2015 pre-session survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2015SaslawSurvey He has several questions on gun control. I know he won't listen to us, but we might as well show him that we do exist. The survey is not limited to people in his district.
  8. G

Opportunity to OC at a Town Hall with Dick Saslaw - Jan 18, 2014

I just got an email from my %@#%$^&%^ Senator, Dick Saslaw. He's holding a town hall meeting tomorrow, and for once it's in a place where preemption applies. Unfortunately, I have another commitment tomorrow, out of the area, but here are the details for anyone who wants to show up: As the...
  9. G

Is a flap holster OC?

My boss came over to my desk this morning to ask me some questions about what ID is needed for a FFL transfer. It seems that he finally decided to take the plunge and buy a handgun, and is getting ready to go pick it up from a local FFL. It's a nice looking Walther P1, and it is coming with...
  10. G

NoVa OC Picnic - June 8, 2013 - Fountainhead Regional Park - 11AM

As discussed in this thread, we are planning a OC picnic for June 8 at Fountainhead Regional Park. Let's aim for 11am to start. Ending time will be when the last of us leaves. user has offered to reserve the picnic area for us. He will accept donations to help defray the $130 reservation...
  11. G

NoVa OC Picnic this Summer?

My wife and I enjoyed the picnic two years ago, but for a variety of reasons the idea didn't come up last year. Prime picnic season is still a couple months away, but I figured that it might be a good idea to start thinking about it now. Anyone else up for a picnic? There are a variety of...
  12. G

Letter from Dick Saslaw - Deja Vu

My State Senator is Dick Saslaw. A few minutes ago, I recevied the following email from him (paid for by Saslaw for Senate). It is entitled Deja Vu. Firearm related parts are my bold. Dear (my name removed), This session feels like déjà vu because once again, Virginia is being deliberately...
  13. G

Dick Saslaw's pre-session survey

Sadly, Dick Saslaw is my state Senator. Like all of you, I'd love to make him unemployed, but that's not likely anytime soon. He has put out his 2013 pre-session survey on issues, and included three questions on firearms. Let's make sure he knows what we really think on the issue...
  14. G

Virginia Gun Deaths Outpace Motor Vehicle Deaths, Anti Group Claims

Link They are getting their data from the CDC's WISQARS system for 2009, and using that data to claim that there needs to be federal consumer safety regulation of firearms. Here's the problem: While, on the face of it, they are right that there were more firearm deaths than motor vehicle...
  15. G

OC-friendly places to visit near Woodstock/New Market

My parents asked me to serve as their proxy for a timeshare HOA meeting this Saturday in Mt. Jackson. As part of that, I've taken Friday off (and they agreed to pay for a hotel room in the area) so I can take the wife and 1-year-old son along for an adventure. I know about the New Market...
  16. G

VCDL Campus Protest @ GMU, 11/9/11 @11:30

From the latest VA Alert: ************************************************************ 1. George Mason University protest is set for November 9th ************************************************************ We now have the date for the Operation Campus Safety "No guns? NO FUNDS!" protest...
  17. G

OC-Friendly Day Trips

Since we got married (and she moved to Virginia), my wife has been expressing the desire to see more of her new home state. I've tried to take her on a few day trips to historical sights (such as Williamsburg a few months ago or Skyline Drive on our honeymoon), and I've been compiling a list of...
  18. G

James Lee Community Center - Falls Church, VA

I recently noticed our local community center in Fairfax County, and some of the classes and resources that they provide. Today, my wife and I stopped by to investigate the facilities and gather more information. After touring the building, we were given copies of their registration forms...
  19. G

WaP calls for a new Assault Weapons Ban

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/27/AR2011012706755.html Why am I not surprised? I wish I had a subscription, just so I could cancel it.
  20. G

Maternity Carry

I'm fairly new around here at OCDO, but I've been carrying (a 75/25% mixture of open and concealed, depending on circumstances) for the past couple of years. My wife has always shown interest in firearms (even attending the 2nd Amendment March with me, open holster), but hasn't shown much...