• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question reguarding carry

bignaz

So i been reading up. I visit GA. pretty often. My question regards carry without a permit. I know open in public is a no no. But one source i read said you can in your car? So what would open in a car be. Open like shot gun rack? Open like on the dash? Open like in a holster on my hip or in a dash mounted holster? This to me is a big gray area because her if its in the car its concealed. So after that is cleared up carry in a car green light on loaded and one in the chamber? Then when moving from car to a place like a hotel in the car just unload put it in its case to secure it and be on my way?

Fallschirjmäger

The long version, emphasis added....

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law *key phrase* from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded. (This is what is called 'handgun transportation, such as when you would carry to a range or competition)

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of private property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such private property shall have the right to exclude or eject a person who is in possession of a weapon or long gun on their private property in accordance with paragraph (3) of subsection (b) of Code Section 16-7-21, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

(h)
(1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.
(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.​

(i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:
(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and
(2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.​

(j) Nothing in this Code section shall in any way operate or be construed to affect, repeal, or limit the exemptions provided for under Code Section 16-11-130.( -130 being the list of enumerated unauthorized locations to carry.)

ETA: carrying openly in Georgia is not a prohibited act, so long as one has a firearms license from either GA or a reciprocal state. The State of Georgia does not recognize any difference in carrying handguns either openly or concealed. A Michigan CPL, for example is treated the same way as a GA WCL in Georgia.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

The long version, emphasis added....

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law *key phrase* from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded. (This is what is called 'handgun transportation, such as when you would carry to a range or competition)

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of private property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such private property shall have the right to exclude or eject a person who is in possession of a weapon or long gun on their private property in accordance with paragraph (3) of subsection (b) of Code Section 16-7-21, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

(h)
(1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.
(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.​

(i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:
(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and
(2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.​

(j) Nothing in this Code section shall in any way operate or be construed to affect, repeal, or limit the exemptions provided for under Code Section 16-11-130.( -130 being the list of enumerated unauthorized locations to carry.)

ETA: carrying openly in Georgia is not a prohibited act, so long as one has a firearms license from either GA or a reciprocal state. The State of Georgia does not recognize any difference in carrying handguns either openly or concealed. A Michigan CPL, for example is treated the same way as a GA WCL in Georgia.

Why doth a law abiding citizen created by the creator need a license/permit to protect himself and his family? What authority in Georgia or any other State has jurisdiction over any law abiding citizen? And how did they acquire that authority? Or is this statement, " the right to keep an bear arms shall not be infringed", not true?.. Is the 2A no longer a right, but is in fact a mere privilege, conferred by a human unto another human?

Please advise, I await your reply.

Regards
CCJ

mark5019

Why doth a law abiding citizen created by the creator need a license/permit to protect himself and his family? What authority in Georgia or any other State has jurisdiction over any law abiding citizen? And how did they acquire that authority? Or is this statement, " the right to keep an bear arms shall not be infringed", not true?.. Is the 2A no longer a right, but is in fact a mere privilege, conferred by a human unto another human?

Regards
CCJ

well your right but ill let you carry with out license and talk to the judge.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Article I, Section I, Paragraph VIII.
Arms, right to keep and bear.
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, but the General Assembly shall have power to prescribe the manner in which arms may be borne.
As a right how does a person bear their arms in public without a permission slip?

countryclubjoe

well your right but ill let you carry with out license and talk to the judge.

Indeed, therefore I preach, that the 2A right to keep and bear arms is no longer a right from our creator but a privilege granted by another human.

Purchasing a permission slip and waiting for approval from some government agent reduces the right into a mere privilege. if we have to petition for a right it is no longer a right..

" Men should not petition for rights, but take them".... Thomas Payne

My .02

Last edited:

Va_Nemo

Well, I lived in Ga for 5 years. I got their permit. I do not intend to take up arms against the Gold Dome or State Patrol or local sheriff.

If you are thinking what you are indicating is proper you are way way round the bend. I hope someone you know tied a string to your foot and can drag you back some.

If you want to, let me know when and where and I will be there to cheer you on and take your body back where you want it taken.

Nemo

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Well, I lived in Ga for 5 years. I got their permit. I do not intend to take up arms against the Gold Dome or State Patrol or local sheriff.

If you are thinking what you are indicating is proper you are way way round the bend. I hope someone you know tied a string to your foot and can drag you back some.

If you want to, let me know when and where and I will be there to cheer you on and take your body back where you want it taken.

Nemo

My grandchildren are already rich, and I don't feel to make them wealthy just yet... I have no intentions of being the poster dead boy for individual rights however I can preach on the subject and hopefully open up some eyes on the subject.. In my humble opinion the 2A ' right to keep and bear arms" is in fact no longer a right, it has been reduced to a government issued privilege..

Going into court an arguing that the 2A is a right, will not prevail... We need to think natural law or God given rights, we need a further study of the forgotten 9th A... We have a duty to our creator to protect what said creator created.. We have a duty to protect ourselves and our family and our property... All that I espouse is right there in front of us in the 9th amendment...

My .02
Regards
CCJ

"salus populi suprema lex esto'--- The health of the people, should be the supreme law"

How can we maintain health when the government is regulating our god given right to protect said health from those that wish to damage said health?...

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Regards
CCJ

Where you hiding old wise one... I await your reply..

CCJ

countryclubjoe

LOL. A less archly progressive translation is: The welfare of the people shall be the supreme law. The Esercito Italiano motto is, Salus Rei Publicae Suprema Lex Esto[/b] ("The safeguard of the republic shall be the supreme law"), they were the protectors of true Fascism, now reduced to Italian communism.

Since I am sure that you ripped your 'salus populi' unread from John Locke, I'll fetch the context from its originator, Cicero. (It'll take a minute or three.)

thanks Old timer, we need to get the information out there, whole or in part... I know that you enjoy me, keeping you on your toes...
Regards

Yes, I read Cicero!

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

That's Barbara Streisand, a lie.

Old Timer, I just read your post on the qualified immunity decision, therefore I am simply in no mood to exchange barbs or Streisand's ..

I am to depressed after reading that court decision... Let's play tomorrow..

Regards
CCJ