• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lack of respect for authorities

twoskinsonemanns

I believe the lack of due respect for officers of the law is a growing problem today.
I seem to recall plenty of criminals getting killed fighting with police in the past. Now it seems there are more and more shootings involving people who aren't actually any threat but force the authorities to kill them by not following commands. Perhaps something about today's society or media coverage is lessening the respect young people have for the danger present by disobeying cops. Maybe the lack of respect shown by some political officials' comments toward police are adding to the problem. What do you think?

From the article:
"Diaz Zeferino removed his baseball hat and lowered his hands. As he began to raise his hands again, three of the officers opened fire, the district attorney's memo said."

This came after the police clearly told him not to move and even threatened to shoot him if he moved again.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...n-officers-tactics-20150715-story.html#page=1

The Truth

I almost posted this yesterday, but couldn't find a legitimate correlation to OC.

That video is 100% murder caught on film. To think that moving one's arms out of an uncomfortable position could get one shot is absurd. The guy apparently didn't even speak English. They were shot as the man was putting his hands back up. His hands were in plain sight. The fact that the cops were cleared of wrongdoing says it all in regards to respect. You're damn right I have no respect for some scumbag who kills another person on mere principle...and gets away with it over and over again.

Next time there's a bicyclist barreling towards you on the sidewalk, how about you open fire and claim self defense. You feared for your life! If he had hit you, you could have sustained a serious head injury, causing death! You had to do it! He had this criminal look about him!

Too many fascists in the police force, not enough intellectuals.

Last edited:

The Truth

From that article, "Police officers are entitled to fear."

Scoff, pfft, cough, fart.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I believe the lack of due respect for officers of the law is a growing problem today.
I seem to recall plenty of criminals getting killed fighting with police in the past. Now it seems there are more and more shootings involving people who aren't actually any threat but force the authorities to kill them by not following commands.

Compliance with orders is completely different than respect for the one giving the orders.

As dangerous as this will come to the "but he could have ...." crap, the notion of cops being "forced" to kill for not following commands suggests that the person is intentionally trying to commit suicide by cop, as opposed to not understanding the words, not knowing which of multiple contradictory commands to obey, or being so confused as to why they are the sudden center of attention of all those cops that their brain refuses to stop processing that and start processing what the cops are telling them what to do.

Perhaps something about today's society or media coverage is lessening the respect young people have for the danger present by disobeying cops. Maybe the lack of respect shown by some political officials' comments toward police are adding to the problem. What do you think?

"Respect ... for the danger present by disobeying cops"? Perhaps a better word would be "fear". And IMHO bringing in the behavior and words of politicians about cops and their actions just conflates and confuses the import of the two very different issues.

If the "common knowledge" is that the cops are going to shoot you if you do not do what they tell you to do, that ought to engender a fear of the cops shooting you if you do not do exactly and precisely what they wanted you to do.

If the "common knowledge" is that politicians have no respect for cops and will use the opportunity to say disparaging things about cops in order to advance a point or their popularity, that ought to engender a lack of respect as shown by polite interaction with the cops as opposed to name-calling and acts of violence towards them because of some expectation of immunity or rescue by the politicians.

stay safe.

twoskinsonemanns

I almost posted this yesterday, but couldn't find a legitimate correlation to OC.

That video is 100% murder caught on film.
snip
I'm sorry you chose not to read the article. It clearly states that the Gardena Police Department says the shooting was justified

Well I thought since there are sometimes posts of encounters with cops due to OCing, a discussion on life saving compliance would be ok in the social.

Compliance with orders is completely different than respect for the one giving the orders.

As dangerous as this will come to the "but he could have ...." crap, the notion of cops being "forced" to kill for not following commands suggests that the person is intentionally trying to commit suicide by cop, as opposed to not understanding the words, not knowing which of multiple contradictory commands to obey, or being so confused as to why they are the sudden center of attention of all those cops that their brain refuses to stop processing that and start processing what the cops are telling them what to do.

"Respect ... for the danger present by disobeying cops"? Perhaps a better word would be "fear". And IMHO bringing in the behavior and words of politicians about cops and their actions just conflates and confuses the import of the two very different issues.

If the "common knowledge" is that the cops are going to shoot you if you do not do what they tell you to do, that ought to engender a fear of the cops shooting you if you do not do exactly and precisely what they wanted you to do.

If the "common knowledge" is that politicians have no respect for cops and will use the opportunity to say disparaging things about cops in order to advance a point or their popularity, that ought to engender a lack of respect as shown by polite interaction with the cops as opposed to name-calling and acts of violence towards them because of some expectation of immunity or rescue by the politicians.

stay safe.

The comments of the politicians may not have anything to do with it. Just throwing ideas out.

It's a real shame for the dead guy. According to the article he was a friend of the guy whose bicycle was stolen. Just trying to help look for the bicycle.
IT's a shame he did not obey the cops commands.

Also a shame for the guy standing NEXT to the guy not listening. He did listen and still took a wild round.

The Truth

snip
I'm sorry you chose not to read the article. It clearly states that the Gardena Police Department says the shooting was justified

I've read the article and seen the video. I don't really care what GPD says. Of course they "ruled" the shooting "justified." Does that really make it true? Or just "legally justified?" Sorry, but my personal litmus test for "justified" goes beyond what the department in question thinks about the shooting, or what "policy" allows for such a reaction. Perhaps those policies need reform.

Why else would the city shell out $4.7M? Anyone who has watched the video knows why.

Did YOU read the article? The guy that was shot and killed didn't even speak English, and was drunk. So now not being able to understand police commands warrants death? Had the cops been able to understand the foreign language he was speaking they would also know that he was not the guy they were looking for. The guy tried to tell them.

The excuse for this senseless shooting is that the officers "feared he was reaching for a weapon." That means they knowingly shot a man to death without ever seeing a weapon, only fearing that there may be a weapon. Were the men under arrest, or just being detained?

It's a sad, statist paradise when a known innocent victim is blamed for the fear based actions of a police officer which result in death, just because in some handbook somewhere there's a policy that allows such.

twoskinsonemanns

I've read the article and seen the video. I don't really care what GPD says. Of course they "ruled" the shooting "justified." Does that really make it true? Or just "legally justified?" Sorry, but my personal litmus test for "justified" goes beyond what the department in question thinks about the shooting, or what "policy" allows for such a reaction. Perhaps those policies need reform.

Why else would the city shell out $4.7M? Anyone who has watched the video knows why.

Did YOU read the article? The guy that was shot and killed didn't even speak English, and was drunk. So now not being able to understand police commands warrants death? Had the cops been able to understand the foreign language he was speaking they would also know that he was not the guy they were looking for. The guy tried to tell them.

The excuse for this senseless shooting is that the officers "feared he was reaching for a weapon." That means they knowingly shot a man to death without ever seeing a weapon, only fearing that there may be a weapon. Were the men under arrest, or just being detained?

It's a sad, statist paradise when a known innocent victim is blamed for the fear based actions of a police officer which result in death, just because in some handbook somewhere there's a policy that allows such.

I have to admit to misgivings when I read that the department fought so hard to keep the video from being released even appealing after the first court ordered it.
But Gardena Police Chief Ed Medranomy put my mind at ease: "We don't want our community members to feel distrustful of us because they know at some point their situation may end up on video or on the Internet. There's a balanced approach,"

The Truth

It's my opinion that the reason it was a justified shooting had absolutely nothing to do with the actual shooting and everything to do with the fact that the encounter was predicated by dispatch falsely reporting the incident as a robbery. That changes the dynamic of the encounter from the police's perspective and suggests that a weapon may be involved.

Griz

But Gardena Police Chief Ed Medranomy put my mind at ease: "We don't want our community members to feel distrustful of us because they know at some point their situation may end up on video or on the Internet. There's a balanced approach,"

If I am gunned down, I would certainly hope the video of "my situation" ends up on the internet.

Of, if it ends up on COPS, I probably did something dumb, and deserved that kind of coverage.

stealthyeliminator

I have to admit to misgivings when I read that the department fought so hard to keep the video from being released even appealing after the first court ordered it.

Are you serious, or is this some serious sarcasm? I mean, I'm a really sarcastic person, and usually I can pick it up, even in writing... But damn, I can't tell in this case.

I really hope you're being sarcastic.

I hope the OP is sarcasm too.

If not, your analysis if the scenario is disgusting. To even suggest that any person has the rightful authority to forcefully demand "respect" from another, and to use lethal force when that respect isn't produced, is so morally void I can't even think how to express my utter disgust.

The department's administrative or investigative findings are so incredibly irrelevant, I don't know why any would even bother mentioning them except to add a tally mark to the count of times the police have absolved themselves of obvious criminal activity.

Dave_pro2a

Yeah, lack of respect... from officers to their fellow citizens, sure is a problem these days.

stealthyeliminator

It is also "common knowledge" that an armed burglar may shoot and kill you if you don't comply. Does that mean lack of "due" respect for armed burglars might be a growing problem today? Or, if bad consequences resulted from disrespecting robbers would we not first applaud individuals for standing up even in the face of threats of violence and then also correctly recognize the problem as the burglars committing burglary? Likewise, we must correctly identify the problem here. The problem is that people are being shot without justification. It's nice to think people should show respect for individuals deserving of it. It's not nice to think that people are justified in shooting other people for not showing enough respect.

solus

It is also "common knowledge" that an armed burglar may shoot and kill you if you don't comply. Does that mean lack of "due" respect for armed burglars might be a growing problem today? Or, if bad consequences resulted from disrespecting robbers would we not first applaud individuals for standing up even in the face of threats of violence and then also correctly recognize the problem as the burglars committing burglary? Likewise, we must correctly identify the problem here. The problem is that people are being shot without justification. It's nice to think people should show respect for individuals deserving of it. It's not nice to think that people are justified in shooting other people for not showing enough respect.

first, the nice LEs do not have to respond to any citizens call for assistance...

lets put this to rest.. according to the FBI in 2012...ONLY 48 LEs lost their lives in line of duty incidents... 48!!
12 officers died as a result of arrest situations.
8 officers were fatally injured during traffic pursuits or stops.
8 officers died as a result of investigating suspicious persons or circumstances.
6 officers were involved in ambush situations.
5 officers were killed as a result of tactical situations (barricaded offender, hostage taking, high-risk entry, etc.).
4 officers who died had responded to disturbance calls.
3 officers suffered fatal injuries while handling, transporting, or maintaining custody of prisoners.
1 officer was conducting investigative activity (surveillance, search, interview, etc.).
1 officer died due to a felonious incident while handling a person with mental illness.

16% or 8 died investigating! oh this is the same number who died while engaged in pursuit or traffic stops...
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...feloniously-killed/felonious_topic_page_-2012

one LE death is tragic...but 48 out of 756K sworn individuals in 2012... .0006% of the work force!!

i'm not a person of color and i am concerned of traffic stops or encounters with nice LEs.

respect...lets go back to community policing where the block cop knows the goings on of the citizens then the nice LEs will have earned my respect.

ipse

added: our congress mandated records be kept on number of citizens killed by nice LEs and to date the data is being collected...hummmm.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Please let's keep on topic. This thread is about the possible idea that the lack of respect for authority could be a factor in all the many police shootings when there is no threat actually present.
It's a reasonable suggestion.

This thread is NOT about the vile, murderous scum seen in the video slaughtering an innocent citizen out looking for his friend's bicycle. Nor is it about the repugnant, despicable, corrupt police department that fought to hide the video and applauded the good shoot and put the thugs right back on the street.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I am not defending the cops. But, I have personally dealt with 911 dispatchers and read many stories about dispatchers (I believe intentionally) giving out the wrong information.

I'm not condemning all dispatchers.

Look at City of Cincinnati police website: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/contact-us/911/

Look at the list that demands a 911 call.

Appropriate uses of 911 are instances of immediate danger or there is a crime in progress, such as:

breaking and entering
assault
rape
shooting
cutting/stabbing
robbery
any crime against a child
missing person (if they are a child or an adult with a mental or physical disability)
vehicle accident
person with a weapon (gun/knife)
suspicious situations
medical emergencies
fires
electrical lines down
gas leaks
an immediate situation where someone can be injured or is injured
So, based on the list "person with a weapon" means DANGER.
Or shoot to kill?

Understand miscommunication? It's built into the system. Not good.

Last edited:

The Truth

Please let's keep on topic. This thread is about the possible idea that the lack of respect for authority could be a factor in all the many police shootings when there is no threat actually present.

This thread is NOT about the vile, murderous scum seen in the video slaughtering an innocent citizen out looking for his friend's bicycle. Nor is it about the repugnant, despicable, corrupt police department that fought to hide the video and applauded the good shoot and put the thugs right back on the street.

So the question is, "Could lack of respect for authority be a factor in all the many police shootings where there is no threat actually present?"

I doubt it. It's called testosterone, fear, lack of proper judgement, God complex, statism, ego, and in fact lack of respect for human life and civil rights on the part of LEO. Add to it the LEO is jaded and at the end of his shift, it's a perfect storm for fascism.

stealthyeliminator

This post seems like night and day from the OP, perhaps I didn't catch your intended meaning?

Sure, I think that people showing less respect towards police officers could indeed be leading to some of those officers using force, even lethal force, more often. I don't think anyone would disagree that disrespect can cause anger. That isn't an excuse or justification but could be a reason for their behavior.

Another way to look at it might be that people are increasingly intolerant of the inequality of being subjected to police 'misuse of authority', and are therefore increasingly dissentive. That could be giving society too much credit, though.

ETA Another way to look at it might be that people may be less and less showing recognition for faux authority, which could certainly lead to anger in an enforcer claiming the authority.

Last edited: