• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine Governor Signs Permitless Carry into law

Midwest

77zach

Grundi

Today is a great day for Maine...

Congratulations !!!
Thank you!!! And thank you, Governor LePage for signing LD.652.

Maine has had an excellent tradition on gun rights (although our near neighbor Vermont has long enjoyed more liberal gun freedoms, if you could imagine). Even when things were "stricter", we were a constitutional open-carry state (no permit required for open carry), and we have enjoyed more gun freedoms than many of our fellow countrymen.

With everyone focused on the 2nd amendment, Maine's Constitution has a surprisingly clear section concerning the RKBA:
Article I Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.

rightwinglibertarian

Thank you!!! And thank you, Governor LePage for signing LD.652.

Maine has had an excellent tradition on gun rights (although our near neighbor Vermont has long enjoyed more liberal gun freedoms, if you could imagine). Even when things were "stricter", we were a constitutional open-carry state (no permit required for open carry), and we have enjoyed more gun freedoms than many of our fellow countrymen.

With everyone focused on the 2nd amendment, Maine's Constitution has a surprisingly clear section concerning the RKBA:
Article I Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.

Well I am impressed. Seems someone actually did their job and recognised what the Constitution says. Now how about the rest of new england and california?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well I am impressed. Seems someone actually did their job and recognised what the Constitution says. Now how about the rest of new england and california?

Maine joins the list of states that lead by example.
icon14.png

The other states are like the proverbial horse who can be led to water, but it has to want to drink.

Grundi

Up here, we're breathing freedom air...

Maine and Vermont are enjoying excellent constitutional rights; New Hampshire is close and was 1 vote shy - unfortunately that was their Governor's vote which counts as 400 some odd against their Legislature. Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island are fighting one another to become like California and New Jersey. Thankfully, we've escaped their folly.

One of the things that is AWESOME about Maine is our Constitution is the succinct wording of our version of the 2nd amendment. While others debate the term "well regulated militia" and how that applies to the State, the People, or the Individuals, Maine has made it very plain in Article I Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.
. How can you not like the sound of that?!?

Come to Maine where the air is FREE!!!

JEStucker

So, quick question...

Does that mean Maine will finally recognize my Missouri permit for CCW, or allow me to carry openly within their state when I visit my family in/around the Bangor/Brewer area? Prior to this Maine hasn't been very friendly to many out-of-state permits. Last time I checked they only honored 8 other states (Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Delaware, South Dakota, Louisiana, Wyoming, Michigan, and North Dakota)

JustaShooter

Does that mean Maine will finally recognize my Missouri permit for CCW, or allow me to carry openly within their state when I visit my family in/around the Bangor/Brewer area?

Unless I'm reading it wrong, once this goes into effect Main could care less where your license is from or even if you have one, you are legal to carry openly or concealed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So, quick question...

Does that mean Maine will finally recognize my Missouri permit for CCW, or allow me to carry openly within their state when I visit my family in/around the Bangor/Brewer area? Prior to this Maine hasn't been very friendly to many out-of-state permits. Last time I checked they only honored 8 other states (Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Delaware, South Dakota, Louisiana, Wyoming, Michigan, and North Dakota)

It is my understanding that when this law goes into effect, you will be able to CC or OC w/o needing a permit; therefore, your Missouri permit becomes irrelevant.

Grundi

Hmmmm...... How about y'all just rip up your uneeded permits and Open carry? And while i'm at it, how to die hard OCers manage in winter?
Ding, ding, ding!! Winner, winner, lobstah-flavored, chicken dinnah.

That question was what this new law was about. Open carry has been recognized for a long time, but, if you put your jacket on and your jacket was long enough to cover your sidearm, boom, you needed a concealed carry permit, special training, pass a background check, and get special permission for your local (or state) constabulary. For...the...act...of...putting...a...jacket...on. I do realize that concealed carry usually means IWB or some other deliberately method, but our law made no allowances for either method. Shortly, it won't matter.

We also still need permits if we want to be afforded the "special rights" granted by the Federal Government to permit holders. Maine, being a very scenic and beautiful state with several federal and state parks, having a permit allows us to carry within most of them. We also get reciprocity from other states.

So, quick question...

Yes and no (see below). Maine had another law passed and signed that removed the discretionary recognition of out of state permits from the chief of the Maine State Police, and now simply reads that if your state recognizes Maine permits than we automatically recognize yours. By the way, there is currently 23 or 24 states with reciprocal agreements with Maine.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, once this goes into effect Main could care less where your license is from or even if you have one, you are legal to carry openly or concealed.
When the law takes effect, out of state carriers won't need a permit. Like the argument that says that there is no excuse for ignorance of the law; by extension, the law pertains to all who are within the jurisdiction of the state of Maine. One thing to keep in mind, if you carry "pursuant to" this law, you also have the responsibility to inform a LEO during an encounter with them (arrests, traffic violations, or detainments).

rightwinglibertarian

We also still need permits if we want to be afforded the "special rights" granted by the Federal Government to permit holders. Maine, being a very scenic and beautiful state with several federal and state parks, having a permit allows us to carry within most of them. We also get reciprocity from other states.

Yep. Government says "pay us ex amount of money, to exercise a right you already have or we'll harass you, assault you, kidnap you and extort more money from you." Isnt that what the 2A was meant to prevent? Tyranny?