• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your opinions: Where is it improper to carry?

twoskinsonemanns

I was reading another thread wherein someone stated there are venues in which it is proper to ban firearms.
So I was thinking I would like to hear people's opinions on where it is improper to carry. Also please feel free to specify OC or CC if one or the other both not both would be improper.

I'll go first: physical therapists office. As I had a bit of a mishap several years ago, my gun clattering to the floor during a stretch and leaving my quite red faced. :eek:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Where is it improper to carry?

While surfing, diving, or snorkeling? The whole saltwater vs steel thing.

Although I suppose I would make an exception for a surfer whose gun matched his board.

:D

twoskinsonemanns

What holster were you using.

I don't want this thread to derail. I use leather holsters with no reasonable retention.
I will concede you are right in any scorn you would direct my way for my choice.

Back on topic:

Nude beaches! Seems like an improper place to carry. ESPECIALLY CC! :shocker:

mustangkiller

I don't want this thread to derail. I use leather holsters with no reasonable retention.
I will concede you are right in any scorn you would direct my way for my choice.

Back on topic:

Nude beaches! Seems like an improper place to carry. ESPECIALLY CC! :shocker:

I would argue that its not improper, just difficult and/or painful.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So far none of the mentioned places are "improper". At best they might be described as places where you run into more problems than usual. There's a way to waterproof your gun in a baggie that provides excellent access to the trigger. A level 2 retention holster might be preferred when you are going to be doing a lot of moving about, especially if it involves changes from vertical to horizontal and back again.

As Nightmare pointed out, it is improper to carry on the residence/dwelling place of someone who does not want you to. SC law is a bit of overkill because of "some people" who I'm guessing forgot their manners once too often. Thankfully the law does not insist on permission each and every time. Also, complying with the law provides an opportunity to educate someone that LACs are just that as opposed to the crazed killers just waiting to "go off" that anti gun rights folks try to paint them as.

It's probably improper to carry into the room where an MRI machine is, because your gun being sucked up by the magnetic field could damage the machinery. Or is that just imprudent?

I'm not allowed any more to make reference to http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-19897.html& , but that's just a description of inconvenience, not impropriety.

Seems finding places where it is improper to carry is more difficult than even I thought it would be.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

I didn't carry while I was in the hospital, and would not even have thought about carrying into surgery. There are some venues, very few, that the use of a firearm is not safe, and would most likely cause innocents to be injured if used. A crowded nightclub where there is drinking, and often fights, especially if the club has adequate security.

twoskinsonemanns

Seems finding places where it is improper to carry is more difficult than even I thought it would be.

stay safe.

I was hoping that folks with differing view points than my own, concerning liberty, would give their opinions and open some discussions.

Perhaps carrying while performing a play.

Or if you're a stripper. Seems improper unless you have a safe place to put it after you strip it off.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Full Definition of IMPROPER: not proper: as
c : not suited to the circumstances, design, or end <improper medicine>
d : not in accord with propriety, modesty, good manners, or good taste <improper language>
Where? Anywhere the property owner indicates that my money is not welcome because I am peaceably armed.

solus

I was reading another thread wherein someone stated there are venues in which it is proper to ban firearms.
So I was thinking I would like to hear people's opinions on where it is improper to carry. Also please feel free to specify OC or CC if one or the other both not both would be improper.

I'll go first: physical therapists office. As I had a bit of a mishap several years ago, my gun clattering to the floor during a stretch and leaving my quite red faced. :eek:

i partake in regular deep tissue massages from masseur in the area or whenever i am on the road, and upon disrobing ensure my firearm is put on the chair in the room. not one individual has said a word.

my current adventures in the local ortho office is i go in w/o firearm, as they are posted, but with holster on. initial visit, first thing out of the doc's mouth after 'HI" was "whatcha carrying?" come to find out he wants the firearm type i am carrying really bad...lol

places not to carry, Turkish bath?

ipse

solus

Don't they make "guns" specifically for underwater use, though?

need to find and watch the mythbusters show about bullets under water...great show and i am sure youll be shocked at the results of their 'experiement(s)'

ipse

addendum:
Episode 34: Bulletproof Water
Hiding underwater can stop bullets from hitting you.
PARTLY CONFIRMED
All supersonic bullets (up to .50-caliber) disintegrated in less than 3 feet (90 cm) of water, but slower velocity bullets, like pistol rounds, need up to 8 feet (2.4 metres) of water to slow to non-lethal speeds. Shotgun slugs require even more depth (the exact depth couldn’t be determined because their one test broke the rig). However, as most water-bound shots are fired from an angle, less actual depth is needed to create the necessary separation.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSTuLIjRm8

Last edited:

solus

I was hoping that folks with differing view points than my own, concerning liberty, would give their opinions and open some discussions.

Perhaps carrying while performing a play.

Or if you're a stripper. Seems improper unless you have a safe place to put it after you strip it off.

Chippendale show or cheeeezzzzzy bad neighbourhood type joint???

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
places not to carry, Turkish bath?

ipse

Trying to remember the movie where the mob guys get whacked in a Turkish bath. Might not have happened if they were carrying.

Chippendale show or cheeeezzzzzy bad neighbourhood type joint???

ipse

More like improper places to be. (Well, maybe not the Chippendale show - depends on why you are attending.)

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

I wish you would make up your mind.

stay safe.

How much of a differing viewpoint do I need to have? And positing that it is difficult to find places where it would be improper is not opening up the discussion - especially in light of the comments of both yourself and others?

stay safe.

J_dazzle23

need to find and watch the mythbusters show about bullets under water...great show and i am sure youll be shocked at the results of their 'experiement(s)'

ipse
That episode ruined many movies for me. :/ LOL

utbagpiper

Banned
Improper, or dangerous, or properly outlawed? Some overlap.

There are locations where presence of a gun presents a unique and legitimate danger. WW has mentioned rooms with MRI machines. This article discusses what is probably a very rare case of a 1911 discharging after flying across the room toward the MRI. It was cocked and locked and the safety prevented the slide from cycling. Inertial discharge enabled by the magnetic field overcoming internal safeties.

Similarly, I'm told that aluminum processing plants have very strict rules about any metal at all inside the plant (to the point that when my wife was doing blood draws at one such plant, all snacks had to be in plastic; no metal cans or wrappers at all). If a wedding band, wrist watch or ear rings pose a legitimate risk due to the metal, perhaps guns do as well. Maybe an exception for Glocks. :)

Prisons, jails, and other locations where the risk of being over powered by overwhelming numbers and having the gun taken are high. Court rooms might go on this list, or be included as an area where emotions run very high.

It is a really bad idea--and often illegal--to carry when one is going to intoxicated, or impaired. This includes partying to the point of intoxication, going under anesthesia, or being under the influence of prescription drugs that impair motor skills or judgment beyond some point.

It would be counter-productive to OC in situations where doing so will run counter to one's other goals. I carry to protect life and limb. Carrying is secondary to life and limb. For example, I will OC when visiting someone in the hospital, but will CC if I am at the hospital as a patient's advocate. In most cases, OCing to a job interview is still in the same category as wearing a T-shirt proclaiming your other political affiliations, your sexual orientation, religious affiliation, marital status, and listing all your disabilities. Generally, a prospective employer has no need to know about my views on firearms.

I think it is poor form to carry into a private home or a house of worship contrary to the wishes of the residents or church, respectively. Double poor form to OC rather than to be discrete in such situations if one is going to carry.

I think it is rude to OC as a guest at events where the known presence of a gun is going to be disruptive (in a bad way), unwanted, or is likely to cause the host or his other guests to be uncomfortable. There are a host of situations where we modify our usual or preferred attire to match the expectations of our hosts. Moving a gun out of sight seems to me to be no more offensive than wearing a tie, and less likely to strangle me. What is in my pocket or inside my waistband is generally nobody's business. Alternatively, a man can choose to avoid events where his chosen manner of dress (including OC) would be unwelcome.

Obviously it would be grossly inappropriate (and against forum rules) to carry (and advocate carrying) contrary to existing laws. By definition, LACs (and members of OCDO) obey the law while we work to change laws that we dislike.

I do not think there is anything wrong with carrying into a business (place of public accommodation) in violation of their policies so long as it is legal to carry despite such policies. The larger and less personal the business, the less problem. I would give more deference to the policies of a mom & pop store than I would a corporate chain. There may practical benefits to CC rather than OC in such cases.

Places that should NOT be off limits legally but often are:
  • Schools, colleges, hospitals, libraries, wildlife refuges, sports stadiums, etc.
  • College dorms
  • Restaurants that serve alcohol & bars including if the carrier wants to have a drink (so long as he isn't intoxicated/impaired)
  • Commercial airliners (it was perfectly legal up until the mid '70s I believe)
  • Military bases
  • Federal facilities like post offices, office buildings, National Park Visitor Centers
  • Certainly some others I've forgotten

Charles

stealthyeliminator

ipse

addendum:
Episode 34: Bulletproof Water
Hiding underwater can stop bullets from hitting you.
PARTLY CONFIRMED
All supersonic bullets (up to .50-caliber) disintegrated in less than 3 feet (90 cm) of water, but slower velocity bullets, like pistol rounds, need up to 8 feet (2.4 metres) of water to slow to non-lethal speeds. Shotgun slugs require even more depth (the exact depth couldn’t be determined because their one test broke the rig). However, as most water-bound shots are fired from an angle, less actual depth is needed to create the necessary separation.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSTuLIjRm8

Ahh yes I think I've seen this before. I actually was surprised when I first saw it! However I was thinking more along the lines of a weapon similar to, but not necessarily a firearm, purpose-built for underwater usage.