• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas officially has Open Carry

Glockster

Frankly even after some of what we have seen going down this road I was a bit surprised by the over the top vulgarity of some of the reactions posted. It is somewhat enjoyable though to see the reactions from the Bloomy crowd! And some of them even promised to never come to Texas (a win-win)!

Firearms Iinstuctor

Frankly even after some of what we have seen going down this road I was a bit surprised by the over the top vulgarity of some of the reactions posted. It is somewhat enjoyable though to see the reactions from the Bloomy crowd! And some of them even promised to never come to Texas (a win-win)!

I have had people over the years tell me for various reasons that they were never coming back to my state.

I just thought please don't one does not need your type here.

I am sure the people of Texas think the same of some of those who posted.

mustangkiller

Snip
The bill passed after lawmakers made concessions to law enforcement groups, who had been upset by an original provision that barred police from questioning people carrying guns if they have no other reason to stop them.

The final bill scrapped that language, meaning police will be able to ask Texans with handguns in plain sight if they have proper licenses.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/747

Well, it didnt take long for the bs reporting to start.

CrimsonSoul

Snip
The bill passed after lawmakers made concessions to law enforcement groups, who had been upset by an original provision that barred police from questioning people carrying guns if they have no other reason to stop them.

The final bill scrapped that language, meaning police will be able to ask Texans with handguns in plain sight if they have proper licenses.

Why don't some people get that the 4th amendment is suppose to protect you from things like this? You are supposed to be presumed innocent. Grr news

mustangkiller

Members to be it would seem. Would be nicer if this were to be made effective immediately upon signing.

Can the Gov use his power to make that happen or at least Sept 1 like any other bill? TBH, I'm sure his hands are tied in that respect but couldn't resist asking.

Glockster

Can the Gov use his power to make that happen or at least Sept 1 like any other bill? TBH, I'm sure his hands are tied in that respect but couldn't resist asking.

I think that he lacks the legal authority to do that as that would be a change to the legislation. I have myself wondered whether he has the ability to issue an executive order to do something to implement it now. But I suspect that the CLEO community would scream about the time supposedly needed to train.

HPmatt

Lt Gov Dan Goeb Patrick should tell DPS and County DAs that they should consider use of 'prosecutorial discretion' to prioritize their limited resources regarding OC and 4A, especially regarding the will of the Texas Senate and future state funding for the counties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

Never heard of a way to override the effective date that's a part of the bill itself, but then again, I don't know that much about it.

I've seen some bills where it says the effective date is X, or takes effect immediately if the required number of votes is met, which leads me to believe that a certain number of votes would be required for the legislation to take effect immediately. I'm not sure if that number would have been reached in this case, but as we know the delay in effective date was a concession given to LEO beggars so they'd probably have a hard time getting the support to return it to original effective date. They shouldn't have given the concession in the first place, but, they did.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Snip

This law did not bar them from detaining and questioning carriers. All it did was REMIND them that they already are barred from that kind of unconstitutional BS. They couldn't stomach the reminder.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So does this mean out of State CC permits (recognized by Texas of course) will be valid for open carry?

I would think so.

Texas' big problem is its proliferation of anti-carry businesses with signs that have weight of law. I'm not used to either of those. I can't tell you how many times I broke the law in Texas without really trying just because I wasn't being super diligent to not break the law.

I honestly will probably not OC in Texas.

Count

Founder's Club Member
It will be fine! Very few businesses have the actual proper language and properly sized 30.06 signs currently. On top of that there will be a 30.07 for open carry..... If a business posts both signs both in English and Spanish as required and proper sized block letters practically the whole front door of that business will be a big obnoxious signage door....... Won't happen...... Carry on as of next year!

Bif

If a business posts both signs both in English and Spanish as required and proper sized block letters practically the whole front door of that business will be a big obnoxious signage door....... Won't happen...... Carry on as of next year!

There's a good way to handle that. All it seems to take is up to a dozen written letters to the owner/manager detailing how much was spent with a competitor when the sign was seen.

Our local big Chevy dealer took his 30:06 sign down about a week after I detailed to a salesman that I turned away from away at the door when seeing the sign and spent $17,500 at the Olds dealer for a used Olds Bravada because the Olds dealer had no such sign.

Our local Hastings put up a 30:06 sign and I organized a letter writing campaign that resulted in 10 to 12 letters stating that as long as that sign was there, the writers would not spend a dime in that place. The sign was gone inside of a week.

Johnbo

I live in Georgia and open carry a pistol of some sort every day except at work where it's not allowed by the company. We just got HB 60 passed last year (the so called guns everywhere bill which it really wasn't... anti's, hunh?). One of the provisions of HB 60 was that leo can not stop you just to check your license to carry unless you have commited a crime. Before this, leo were getting successfully sued for 4th amendment violations even though they still needed a RAS to make a stop/check. Note to Texas LEOS: the bad guys don't open carry here even after HB 60. Last thing they want is to draw attention to themselves. It just doesn't happen. The people you encounter who OC here without a license are basically ignorant of any gun laws in the state; theyre not typical criminals. Congrats again Texas. I have had no real problems when open carrying and usually get people thanking me and saying they wish more people would do it. Lefties (I live in a university town) will often frown at you but who cares.

The worst reactions come from blacks not sure why. I think they equate gun ownership with opression maybe? I get "are you a cop" alot from people too. Enjoy your open carry Texans but remember to be extra aware of your surroundings. I've had some idiots actually come up behind me and try to jiggle the grip of my holstered gun thinking its funny.

Businesses can put up no guns/weapons allowed signs but these hold no weight of law in Georgia; all they can do is ask yo to leave and misdemeanor trespass you if you don't leave (why wouldn't you?). Places like this I will conceal carry if I have to. You texans should get signage laws changed to have no weight of law AND stop leo from harassing OCers by not allowing stops jut to check licenses. It's going to cost you Leos, at least the municipalities where you work if you start detaining OCers who are not breaking any laws. You will get sued. :banana:

Last edited: