• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 new apps

Liberty-or-Death

These two apps have become instant favorites of mine and I just had to share. I've only just started using them and I'm interested in discussion from others.

2A Friendly:
Rate businesses you frequent.
nevapymu.jpg

huquzupe.jpg

iCitizen:
Follow issues and legislation news, and voice your opinion.
uta8e3y9.jpg

rysabatu.jpg

μολών λαβέ

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
These two apps have become instant favorites of mine and I just had to share. I've only just started using them and I'm interested in discussion from others.

2A Friendly:
Rate businesses you frequent.

iCitizen:
Follow issues and legislation news, and voice your opinion.

μολών λαβέ

I have installed 2A Friendly on my smartphone and found it easy to use and informative.

Last edited:

2AFriendly

Thanks, we're sponsors of this forum and appreciate the feedback.

If you need anything at all or have issues, just contact us (links are in the app) and we'll respond quickly. We're working on an update for Android now - just released an iPhone bugfix release... so remember to grab updates as they happen. Thanks!

Liberty-or-Death

Just a quick suggestion, perhaps a box to check to denote that the establishment has some sign or posting that firearms are unwelcome.

μολών λαβέ

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Just a quick suggestion, perhaps a box to check to denote that the establishment has some sign or posting that firearms are unwelcome.

μολών λαβέ

Not speaking for the software providers, but wouldn't categorizing an establishment as "Unfriendly" indicate that they don't allow firearms, whether they have a sign or not?

DaveT319

Yep, there's a difference to me. Like Costco is unfriendly since they don't post a sign, so you pretty much only find out when they say something, and it's usually not to leave but just cover it. A sign is clear that you're not welcome if carrying.

All American Nightmare

Thanks, we're sponsors of this forum and appreciate the feedback.

If you need anything at all or have issues, just contact us (links are in the app) and we'll respond quickly. We're working on an update for Android now - just released an iPhone bugfix release... so remember to grab updates as they happen. Thanks!

Get rid of the account requirement. I have the app but don't use because of that

Last edited:

Liberty-or-Death

If GMTA, then also on your big list is the ability to see a list of one's own past ratings, the number of ratings an establishment has received, along with a "rating confidence" percentage. Gosh, the more I think about it, I'd love to be a regular contributor on this project, beyond the occasional rating.

μολών λαβέ

2AFriendly

We will always require an account. It is too easy for spammers and tire-kickers to abuse something without a basic account set up procedure.

We figure anyone who cares enough to use the app, cares enough to set up a simple account.

cirrusly

Agree fully with the difference between "Unfriendly" and "Posted Unfriendly."

Legally armed citizens can still Conceal Carry in an "unfriendly" establishment that does not post a sign. However, legally armed citizens can not Conceal Carry in an "unfriendly" establishment that does post a sign. This is a significant difference the app should conspicuously account for.

cirrusly

Also, this thread may be best suited in one of the non state-specific forums, as it pertains to more than just the geography and laws of Virginia.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Agree fully with the difference between "Unfriendly" and "Posted Unfriendly."

Legally armed citizens can still Conceal Carry in an "unfriendly" establishment that does not post a sign. However, legally armed citizens can not Conceal Carry in an "unfriendly" establishment that does post a sign. This is a significant difference the app should conspicuously account for.

Can we make the distinction here between open and concealed carry?

While the statute does prohibit concealed carry:

Prohibited Conduct and Where Unlawful to Carry - Section 18.2-308.012
Section 18.2-308.01: Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.

This statute refers specifically to where concealed carry by a CHP holder is prohibited from carrying.

There does not seem to be a parallel statute for open carry, since open carry does not require any kind of "permission slip." In that case the gun-buster sign would not seem to have any force of law attached to it, even though the owner could certainly ask/demand/tell an open carrier to leave and if they refused, could summon the police and formally trespass the open carrier.

All of that being said, no responsible person here on OCDO recommends carrying, openly or concealed, into a business that is posted. We strongly suggest that they spend their money at friendly locations. To that end, 2A Friendly is (IMO) a useful application.

Last edited:

cirrusly

All of that being said, no responsible person here on OCDO recommends carrying, openly or concealed, into a business that is posted. We strongly suggest that they spend their money at friendly locations. To that end, 2A Friendly is (IMO) a useful application.

No one is disagreeing with that statement, but you're still missing the point.

IF an establishment is "not posted" could it still be marked as "unfriendly" in the app? If so, there's no distinction between: "unfriendly posted" and "unfriendly not posted," hence the issue and enhancement request.

"Not posted but unfriendly to carry" = CC can carry legally and wouldn't be asked to leave because no one could visibly see they are carrying.

"Posted and unfriendly to carry" = CC can not carry at all legally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk