• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

docachna

Good auction / great OC experience

Well, the spousal unit and I got up early Saturday and wandered out to Bruceton, TN (just north of Hollow Rock) to a big auction. Lots of misc stuff, and quite a few firearms (5 AR's ???!?). I continue to be amazed at auctions - sometimes firearms go for pretty reasonable ($600 for a decked-out Spike's Tactical AR), sometimes it's just simply obscene ($325 for a Kel-Tec PF-9 ---which, of course, is what I was interested in.....:().

Anyway, we stopped at The Perfect Pig BBQ in White Bluff on the way back. It was a lovely day, and I just frankly didn't feel like putting the jacket back on - so I didn't. Scanned the front door for GunBuster signs - nothing there. Walked in with my Glock 38 .45 ACP on my hip, and saw the wall plastered with "FOP/Support Your Troopers"-type badges, so I figured I was in friendly territory.

The gal at the register took our "to-go" order for a pound of brisket and all the trimmings, and then gave me a great big smile and piped up, "Hey, by the way, I really like your gun !!!". Of course, I just grinned and said, "hey, me too !!!". She then volunteered that she had just gotten her HCP, and was "starting to get good" with her .380. I encouraged her to "keep shootin' " to get better. She raved about how she was afraid of pistols before, but now found out it "just isn't really a big deal at all".

Before our BBQ was brought out, probably half a dozen folks sauntered out to pay and leave. The majority of them glanced down at my Glock -- looked up -- stifled a grin, and gave a nod - some with just a touch of a "yeah, buddy !" wink. (BTW - the BBQ was simply killer !! If you haven't been, you need to go.....I saw a full slab of ribs go out on a plate; looked like half a friggin' pig.....)

It was a good day - esp. since I found the rolling tool chest I was looking for - and it was also loaded up with probably at least 200 lbs. of hand tools. If anybody's looking for wrenches, drivers, sockets, box-ends, etc., I think that by the time I get done sorting them all out, I'm going to have a pantload of them, and 3-4 duplicates of any one tool is about my limit to keep these days.....

So, OC-ers, don't get discouraged. The good places are out there. You just gotta find 'em.....:)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON !

cjohnson44546

It's not in Memphis anyway. I do know that costco is posted.

Just for the info... I was at Costco in Memphis today and took a very good look around... Costco is NOT posted. I do know from reading on the internet they have a policy of no carry, and will ask you to leave and return without the weapon if they see you carrying... but since its not legally posted, its not illegal to carry there. This is the type of place to know to conceal carry.

Last edited:

Silvertongue

As yesterday was a chilly day, I wore a jacket. As I was wearing a jacket, I CC'd for most of the day. However, the folks at McDonald's on Amnicola Highway have a very efficient heater. This allowed me to remove my jacket before sitting, and walk to collect my food and refill without the jacket.

The five members of Chattanooga's finest near the restroom area barely gave me a second look.

I swear, this Batman shirt is helping more and more.

Kopis

Batman shirts always help!

Went to busters liquor at poplar and highland in Memphis today. I was sure it would be posted especially since they have full time security. Anyway it wasn't so we strolled in, shopped around, even got help from a few employees, checked out and left. No issues, looks or questions.

Ken56

Ober Gatilinburg

Wandered around Gatlinburg today and the wife wanted to go up in the tram. We got to the door and there it was, no guns symbol right next to the door. Atleast it was prominantly displayed and I saw it and told her we can't go in. Wont give'em my money anyway now. Otherwise it was a good day. Traffic was crazy though being christmas break.

OngoingFreedom

Wandered around Gatlinburg today and the wife wanted to go up in the tram. We got to the door and there it was, no guns symbol right next to the door. Atleast it was prominantly displayed and I saw it and told her we can't go in. Wont give'em my money anyway now. Otherwise it was a good day. Traffic was crazy though being christmas break.

Yup. I had to turn around this summer and take it back to my car. >:-|

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ziggiegreen

Sweet Memories Clarksville TN

I do most of my OCing in Ky considering I don't have a permit (yet, waiting on it in the mail). Saw this sign in a window of a down town candy store in Clarksville Tn. I don't shop for candy often but this place will definitely get my future business.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 194

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I do most of my OCing in Ky considering I don't have a permit (yet, waiting on it in the mail). Saw this sign in a window of a down town candy store in Clarksville Tn. I don't shop for candy often but this place will definitely get my future business.
That sign on a candy store is sweet :lol:

Silvertongue

First Day with Drop Thigh Rig

Or drop leg rig, or leg drop rig, or thigh rig, or whatever.

I like it because I can unsnap three snaps and remove it in the car with only the belt loop thingy still attached. I can even clip the keys to the half of the clasp that remains.

Got some stares and whispers at Dairy Queen, but no interaction just yet.

SovereignAxe

It's been a long time since anyone posted in this thread, so I think it deserves an update.

Granted, my update is really a non-update, as I've had a total of zero encounters since I last posted. But that may have something do with the weather. It's difficult to OC when it's cold and you're wearing a jacket.

That being said, I've open carried into the Food City on Market/St. of Franklin Rd several times, Mr. K's bookstore, Ink Revolution (don't think anyone noticed. My wife and sister in-law got a tattoo/piercing respectively and there was a lot more attention being paid to them than to me), Wal-Mart more times than I can count, Cook Out in Johnson City, Zaxby's in Elizabethton, the Carter County Landfill...I'm sure I'm leaving out a few others, but like I said-no encounters, only a few looks at the gun.

I like to tell myself they're admiring it ;)

independence

It's been a long time since anyone posted in this thread, so I think it deserves an update.

Granted, my update is really a non-update, as I've had a total of zero encounters since I last posted. But that may have something do with the weather. It's difficult to OC when it's cold and you're wearing a jacket.

That being said, I've open carried into the Food City on Market/St. of Franklin Rd several times, Mr. K's bookstore, Ink Revolution (don't think anyone noticed. My wife and sister in-law got a tattoo/piercing respectively and there was a lot more attention being paid to them than to me), Wal-Mart more times than I can count, Cook Out in Johnson City, Zaxby's in Elizabethton, the Carter County Landfill...I'm sure I'm leaving out a few others, but like I said-no encounters, only a few looks at the gun.

I like to tell myself they're admiring it ;)

Mostly positive encounters myself, as well. Had a little girl ask me why I had a gun the other day. Told her it was to protect my kids. She seemed satisfied with that answer.

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

Kopis

Mostly positive encounters myself, as well. Had a little girl ask me why I had a gun the other day. Told her it was to protect my kids. She seemed satisfied with that answer.

kids are so funny sometimes. I can imagine her thinking through that and deciding it's a good thing.

roystere

Just for the info... I was at Costco in Memphis today and took a very good look around... Costco is NOT posted. I do know from reading on the internet they have a policy of no carry, and will ask you to leave and return without the weapon if they see you carrying... but since its not legally posted, its not illegal to carry there. This is the type of place to know to conceal carry.

The Costco in West Nashville is a different story. Big sign posted by the door...

Kopis

Went to best buy in Cordova (Wolfchase/Memphis area) with my dad last night. OCed my g17 in a comptac straight drop. Ran into another guy with a SA 1911. We struck up a good convo then talked to our sales guys quite a bit about tvs. As usual, it wasn't a big deal and no one ran in fear.

I also saw a guy at a gas station OCing last week. I feel like I'm seeing more people exercising their rights lately.

Last edited:

independence

You do know you just admitted to committing a crime, correct?

See TCA 39-17-1359

You are incorrect. Cite the exact section that you feel proves this and I will disprove.

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

Nascar24Glock

You do know you just admitted to committing a crime, correct?

See TCA 39-17-1359

It depends on exactly what's on the sign. If it has a gun-buster symbol or contains specified language consisting of three elements (1: carrying a weapon on the property is banned by the owner; 2: this posting is made under authority of Tennessee law; 3: violation is a criminal offense), then yes, the poster admitted to a crime. However, if the sign simply says "no firearms on premises" without either of the above two, then the poster at most admitted to breaking etiquette rules regarding others' property.