• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Still allowed to OC once I have my CCW?

A-Maine-Taxpayer

I am wondering if I were to open carry for whatever reason here in Maine and have all my ducks in a row (properly holstered, plain view, not brandishing, legally registered, proper state ID, not a felon, etc...)

If I get questioned by police am I going to be in trouble because I have a ccw permit but it is not concealed?

Fallschirjmäger

Can you still walk, ride a bike, take a taxi or bus, canoe or swim once you've been issued a driving license?

Short answer, the license is a grant of permission to do a thing, not a prohibition.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A thinking point:

Once you have your driver's license, are you still allowed to be just a passenger in a vehicle?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nahhhh... there's only one license where you cannot continue to do all the things that you did before you got it......
a marriage license. :monkey
From Princess to Queen Mother and ruler over her domain with the stroke of a pen - that is the law. Disregard it at your peril.

ToMang07

Banned
Since when does Maine have gun registration? :confused:

It doesnt.

OP....IF this was a serious question...yes you can still open or concealed carry.

You would do well to use the resources available to look up and learn the laws before you do anything.

Sent while swerving into the wrong lane...

XD40sc

I am wondering if I were to open carry for whatever reason here in Maine and have all my ducks in a row (properly holstered, plain view, not brandishing, legally registered, proper state ID, not a felon, etc...)

If I get questioned by police am I going to be in trouble because I have a ccw permit but it is not concealed?

Legally registered :eek: you have to register guns in Maine?

In NC, I can OC, I don't have to register the gun, nor even carry my ID. If I CC, then I have to have my ID and CHP on me.

I inadvertently left home one day without my wallet, I merely tucked my shirt in behind my gun and went about my business.

ToMang07

Banned

In NC, I can OC, I don't have to register the gun, nor even carry my ID. If I CC, then I have to have my ID and CHP on me.

I inadvertently left home one day without my wallet, I merely tucked my shirt in behind my gun and went about my business.

Like I said. ...no registration.

Sent while swerving into the wrong lane...

JoeSparky

Centurion

Utah has you beat.... sort of! No requirement to carry ID or permit if you are concealing.... only requirement is that the permit be issued. Oh, yeah, Utah also recognizes ANY permit issued by ANY state or County.

Now if we could only get rid of the strange obscure "unloaded on a public road without a permit" requirement since ANYONE lawfully in possession of a vehicle or with permission of the one in lawful possession of the vehicle can carry ANYWAY THEY WANT TOO as long as they can legally possess a firearm and are 18 years or older!

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Utah has you beat.... sort of! No requirement to carry ID or permit if you are concealing.... only requirement is that the permit be issued.

Yep, you have NV beat. If we are concealing and don't have our issued permit in our possession, we can get hit for a $25 civil infraction fine, the same one for driving a car and not having your license with you.

Granted, you usually get the finger shook at you instead, but they can write the ticket if they want to...

Assuming you got caught...