• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

Stevepala

Hello all this is my first post.

10 weeks ago my wife and I submitted our pistol permit in East Windsor, CT. 9 weeks ago I the police department the status of our apps. A very nice lady in records showed me a stack of applications and said because of new laws and what happened in Newtown there has been a delay. She also told me that she had not received the results of the fingerprints.

I would like to know what amount of time are other people experiencing in CT?

Thanks

Steve

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, I would file an appeal ... get it in cue ... with the board of firearms permit examiners ... they have a website ..

how long does it take v. should it take ... you should have gotten your permit by now ... how long would it take if you do nothing but wait, who knows.

SwampLedge

I applied Jan 29 in Suffield. PD called me on April 12 to say it was ready. FBI fingerprint check results came back in about 6 weeks- the balance of time was the town waiting for the state.

Stevepala

Thanks, I'm just trying to see if other people are also delayed or is it just my town.

motoxmann

I applied Jan 29 in Suffield. PD called me on April 12 to say it was ready. FBI fingerprint check results came back in about 6 weeks- the balance of time was the town waiting for the state.

FBI results come back within only a couple days, every single time. the actual process takes a matter of MINUTES. the only reason it takes longer than a couple minutes for the PD to get them is because they are mailed to DESPP from the PD, and are mailed again from DESPP to the PD. anything longer than a couple days is a lie, and is the typical excuse PD's make up to BS people into waiting longer.

every PD now seems to be using the identical excuse of "fbi results are back, but the state background check has not come back yet, we're still waiting on that."

CT statutes plainly and simply state: the issuing authority has 5 days from when they receive the FBI background check results to issue an approval or denial. It says NOTHING about state background checks.
CT statutes also state the entire process from the time you turn in your application to the time of approval/denial/letter of reason for delay is 8 weeks.

if ANY of the above has gone longer than the statutes state, you need to file an appeal IMMEDIATELY.

You need to file an appeal immediately:

To file an appeal, follow the instructions at this link:

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254192&bfpeNav=|

If it's been more than 8 weeks since you turned in your application; use the process listed for the 8 week delay.

Be sure to fill out the questionnaire as well, and you MUST send in the appeal letter and questionnaire together in the same envelope to ensure you get on the list and also prompting documents to be sent to the issuing authority.

Chances are you'll probably receive your permit before the actual appeal hearing, assuming you are eligible. If this does occur, you absolutely MUST notify the BFPE immediately upon receiving your permit so they can cancel your appeal and allow that time slot to be used by someone else in need of an appeal. Even in the rare chance that they issue your permit the same day or day after you having mailed out the letter and questionnaire, you still need to contact BFPE to let them know you mailed the information on [approx date] but that you have received your permit now.

forhumans

I would like to know what amount of time are other people experiencing in CT?

I'm in Greenwich and tomorrow marks week 10 of waiting for me. I called the department 2 weeks ago and got the same thing; a very nice lady telling me there's a delay because of Newtown, and they are waiting for a response from the state. I can't help but believe them.

Much to the chagrin of some members on this forum, I didn't file an appeal because I'm scared they will deny me out of spite. I'd rather get my pistol permit than exercise my rights... :uhoh:

forhumans

You have already been 'denied'. It is called an 'administrative denial' and the clock is ticking on your right to appeal.

We have 90 days to appeal from the 8th week, and my plan is to appeal in 2 weeks.

I'm in no rush, just playing it safe. :dude:

Rich B

We have 90 days to appeal from the 8th week, and my plan is to appeal in 2 weeks.

I'm in no rush, just playing it safe. :dude:

Or at least that is what you think. You probably don't know when the actual time limit was exceeded. Contrary to what some people have spread as truth, the 8 week mark is not the first deadline, it is the last. Your deadline may have come up at 2 weeks into the process.

It is your choice to appeal or not, but I personally think it is silly not to. There is nothing to gain by not appealing and everything to lose.

forhumans

Or at least that is what you think. You probably don't know when the actual time limit was exceeded. Contrary to what some people have spread as truth, the 8 week mark is not the first deadline, it is the last. Your deadline may have come up at 2 weeks into the process.

I don't understand... can you clarify what you mean by my deadline? I assumed if I was denied they would tell me, is this not the case?

Either way I'll make the 90 day cut off, but thank you for your words of advice.

I've probably tried explaining myself on here before, but let me clarify I have an expunged firearms related arrest from when I was 16 and I want to avoid any possibility they use that to deny me. I was driving a vehicle where the passenger somehow brandished a facsimile. :banghead:

Rich B

I don't understand... can you clarify what you mean by my deadline? I assumed if I was denied they would tell me, is this not the case?

You are denied when they miss your statutory deadlines. It is an administrative denial.

http://ctcarry.com/Permits/Timeline

I've probably tried explaining myself on here before, but let me clarify I have an expunged firearms related arrest from when I was 16 and I want to avoid any possibility they use that to deny me. I was driving a vehicle where the passenger somehow brandished a facsimile. :banghead:

It doesn't make any difference. You are not thinking correctly about this.

Stevepala

Call the state police records department

Called the state police records department today. They took my name and told me because of the current back log they have not even run my fingerprints yet. I ask how much longer and she had no idea. She told me they have been overwhelmed with fingerprints.

This brings an interesting comparison. Because I own a business that is required, because of the locations we work at, each employee must also be fingerprinted by the state. If I had a new employee fingerprinted today I would get an approval or denial in 7 business days. It is my understanding that the same agency is reviewing my employee fingerprints as does for the pistol permit.

It is my understanding that these prints are transferred electronically to the reviewing agency.

So why the delay?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Called the state police records department today. They took my name and told me because of the current back log they have not even run my fingerprints yet. I ask how much longer and she had no idea. She told me they have been overwhelmed with fingerprints.

This brings an interesting comparison. Because I own a business that is required, because of the locations we work at, each employee must also be fingerprinted by the state. If I had a new employee fingerprinted today I would get an approval or denial in 7 business days. It is my understanding that the same agency is reviewing my employee fingerprints as does for the pistol permit.

It is my understanding that these prints are transferred electronically to the reviewing agency.

So why the delay?

Do not expect a truthful answer from these folks (I have caught them in sooo many lies). Move on and file your appeal.

Rich B

So why the delay?

Call back: (860) 685-8341

Ask for Louise.

See if you get the same result.

When did you submit the application?

Stevepala

Called again

Called again and spoke with Louise, got the same results, not processed yet but she said it would be this week and returned to my town end of next week.

Submitted app 2/19/13.