• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Day Late--OC'ers shoot small birds! DOVE SEASON OPEN

riverrat10k

My annual reminder that hunting season is open once again. More armed folks out and about this time of year.

Just a little situational awareness reminder from the Riverrat!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Little birds mean too much time reloading for too little meat....and a sore shoulder.:uhoh:

Bow season starts in a little over a month, then the fun begins:monkey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Little birds mean too much time reloading for too little meat....and a sore shoulder.:uhoh:

Bow season starts in a little over a month, then the fun begins:monkey

There's an arrow that uses shot pellets? This I want to see!

Of course, since we are talking about Peter Nap I should not be that amazed.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There's an arrow that uses shot pellets? This I want to see!

Of course, since we are talking about Peter Nap I should not be that amazed.

stay safe.
Well now that you mention it...there is.:uhoh:

The older version of the bang stick head used a 12 ga shotgun shell as is. The newer one uses a blank.
I have both since there is a serious problem with sharks in St Johns Creek.

I also have a Shark Dart which uses compressed air.

None of the above are really necessary for Doves....but then again, they can be dangerous when wounded.:p

In the words of the last American Hero "Shoot em with the biggest damn thing you have".

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Reminds me of "The Case of the Exploding Chicken". The client was asked by his sister's boyfriend, a convicted felon, to come onto the property to kill a rogue (feral) rooster. He'd asked "animal control" to get the bird, but they'd given up after a couple of tries. Apparently, someone from the DGIF told him it would be ok to just shoot the bird. So client borrows his father's lever-action .30-30, loaded with Hornady varmint killers, and shoots the chicken. Charged with "reckless handling of a firearm" after a neighbor complained about the shooting so close to his house (it was in violation of a local zoning ordinance). At trial the kid needed damage control, the father wanted his gun back, and the prosecutor didn't want to have to try the case. We found another statute that he could be charged with, so the charge was amended to "Shooting Birds for Amusement", a class-four misdemeanor. The kid paid a $250 fine with no loss of rights, and father got his gun back. The judge thought the whole thing was pretty funny.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The key word is "Urban" which doesn't include me SS. That's fine though...the fawns still have their spots.

So saith the urbane and debonaire young naturalist photographer.

SMILEY_CAMERA.gif

Bowesmobile

Yeah, that is the truth. One thing my old home afforded. In the end of September and from October to April it was very cool if not cold. So you could wait a minute to butcher your kill. My mom remembers it snowing in September. But that was the exception and not the normal. The last 70 degree day was usually the end of September. After that it steadily fell into the freezing mark. Snow also can help you track... when opposed to a red color.

It is nice to be able to feel your fingers when you shoot. Something I like here.