• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Encounters:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Just a thread to post police encounters. If you have one, good or bad please post here! No matter what. This way we can see what part of the state we need to focus on more. Also, if this is a matter in which you want to press charges please do NOT post here. Instead send me a private message so that MOCA can begin to work with you any way we can.

P.S. no LEO bashing.

Thank you,
Shane Belanger

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Knowledge is power and coordination of these events will benefit all.

When an individual has a problem that must be answered, there are brothers and sisters that will step into the gap. A supported, united front is far superior to fending solo with the powers that be.

This is a GREAT idea.

Badger Johnson

You might want to specify 'OC encounters'.

I was thinking about it today, and it occurred to me that the only encounters concerning HG that I fear are those with police involvement. I do NOT fear criminals and perps and predators with guns, because I know they:
1. Are usually acting alone and do not have the ability to call in massive backup
2. Have a single goal, usually to rob, carjack or mug and if they meet any resistance the run;
3. You can fight back.

With LEOs you have none of these. They can call in totally unreasonable back up and use intimidation instead of legal means, though they have plenty of that.

They do have a single goal and that is to arrest you and lie to get you to incriminate yourself somehow

You can not fight back.

Anyway, I appreciate reading about OC and HG related experiences.

Edit to add, this is not LEO bashing, just a sad and rather sudden realization that I had today about their capabilities. Many choose not to do this kind of thing, that's true. Wish all LEOs treated civilians as 'friendlies'.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You might want to specify 'OC encounters'.

I was thinking about it today, and it occurred to me that the only encounters concerning HG that I fear are those with police involvement. I do NOT fear criminals and perps and predators with guns, because I know they:
1. Are usually acting alone and do not have the ability to call in massive backup
2. Have a single goal, usually to rob, carjack or mug and if they meet any resistance the run;
3. You can fight back.

With LEOs you have none of these. They can call in totally unreasonable back up and use intimidation instead of legal means, though they have plenty of that.

They do have a single goal and that is to arrest you and lie to get you to incriminate yourself somehow

You can not fight back.

Anyway, I appreciate reading about OC and HG related experiences.

Edit to add, this is not LEO bashing, just a sad and rather sudden realization that I had today about their capabilities. Many choose not to do this kind of thing, that's true. Wish all LEOs treated civilians as 'friendlies'.

You are side tracking the issue. It is NOT about how or why certain events happen the way they do. This thread is about collecting data from Maine participants and establishing a resource/record of these events.

We "fight back" pretty effectively by using the talents and abilities of those in our midst along with the educational and legal means available. I do not have the sense of foreboding that you would seem to project. I have watched things unfold for years and find that great progress has been made, I am optimistic and positive about the future.

Back to the OP topic. Share your experiences here - if you have a present need PM Shane direct prior to posting publicly.

BTW - this is NOT limited to OC only I do not believe, but any and all RKBA related items.
Correct me if I am wrong Shane.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
You are side tracking the issue. It is NOT about how or why certain events happen the way they do. This thread is about collecting data from Maine participants and establishing a resource/record of these events.

We "fight back" pretty effectively by using the talents and abilities of those in our midst along with the educational and legal means available. I do not have the sense of foreboding that you would seem to project. I have watched things unfold for years and find that great progress has been made, I am optimistic and positive about the future.

Back to the OP topic. Share your experiences here - if you have a present need PM Shane direct prior to posting publicly.

BTW - this is NOT limited to OC only I do not believe, but any and all RKBA related items.
Correct me if I am wrong Shane.

You are very correct sir, any issue you have relating to the RKBA. Even down to wondering what caliber/handgun would be best for various activities :)

carry for myself

Encounter with another one of OOB's Finest

was at work in OOB a few days ago, noticed a squad car parked by one of our 3 resorts for over an hour so i went to investigate. Saw the officer standing by the dunes, armes crossed. went over and asked him what the issue was. convo went like this.

me: Hows it going
Officer: alright. someone reported a ill skunk, so i've been babysittin untill animal control arrieves

i then noticed a barely moving baby skunk who had found a discarded fish with hooks in it, eaten the fish and injested the hooks

me :eek:h wow , that sucks
Officer: yeah pisses me off quite a bit, this is not his fault. stupid tourists
Me: yeah this is kind of a BS thing to happen

Officer then notices my Kahr CW.40 kind of printing through my work shirt

Officer: concealing?
Me: oh! yeah haha i carry daily. can never be too careful these days, epsecially down here
Officer: yeah i hear you. my glock is on my side at work, carry a kimber when im not on duity, what kind do you carry?
Me: Kahr .40 cal. single stack. 6 +1 does the trick with 180g HPJ's

Officer : looks small. must be hard to conceal in that tight work shirt
Me: depends on how im moving, but i try
Officer: at least your boss lets you carry. alot of employers dont.
Me: im one of the lucky few, usually OC down here but i just got my permit so i figured i would give it a whirl.
Officer. yeah i saw a few guys on channel 13 talking about OC. this is 2nd year with oob, havnt contacted any OCers but i dont worry about them. seem like a good crowd
Me; they are. and def are not a threat.
Officer: good to know!

then we exchanged names, handshakes. talked a bit about the crimes OOB sees in the summer, shooting ranges. then parted ways.

overall a GREAT encounter. he never even once asked me for my CCW. or tried to run my name. if any of you run into Officer Henny. hes on our side ;-)

Last edited:

ep0k

One of Wiscasset's finest came into the garage where I was working on my car the other day. He didn't seem to give a **** that I had a gun on my hip.

damienrr

prom oc

OCed at the prom yesterday, had no major problems although i was disturbed by the arrogance of a few members of the portland PD. All around me people were breaking laws, i.e., drinking in public, shooting off fireworks, fights, you name it and the several members of portlands finest had nothing better to do than stare me down and try to intimidate me. When i approached a few members of the portland FD and PD and kindly asked to have my pic taken with them the FD was all for it the law enforcement officer was completely rude, awnsering me with "ABSOLUTLEY NOT!" after the photo was taken with the fire department i told the PD i completely understood and meant no disrespect. She lightened up and told me and my wife she had no problem with me having a gun. G Thanks. Later I asked 3 officers if they would mind taking a picture with me and was met with basicly the same response. told it was policy. with that i thanked them for there service and tried to shake their hands. Two shook it the third walked away from me with out so much as a thank you. All night i saw that officer staring at me, pointing at me and laughing with his buddies. I have nothing but total RESPECT for members of law enforcement....but this just pisses me off, some LEOs are a complete disgrace and embarrassment to the badge, to their state, to their community, and to the country. It doesnt bother me they would not take a photo with me, i completely understand the reasons they would not, what bothers me is the way in which i was treated by them. just my opinion.

HolyOrangeJuice

some LEOs are a complete disgrace and embarrassment to the badge, to their state, to their community, and to the country.

Some is the key word. I am working to become a state trooper. The way i see it there are two types of cops. The kind who are there for the power, the gun, the badge, the paycheck, ect. and those cops like myself who just like to help people with everything everywhere. I can't stand the first kind of cop.

damienrr

Some is the key word. I am working to become a state trooper. The way i see it there are two types of cops. The kind who are there for the power, the gun, the badge, the paycheck, ect. and those cops like myself who just like to help people with everything everywhere. I can't stand the first kind of cop.

you are absolutely right, i hope no one thinks i am anti law enforcement because i am not in any way. I personally know MANY great officers. But, like all jobs, you have your a holes. its just unfortunate they take advantage of what is suppose to be an honorable profession. I believe PDs should maybe raise the bar for those wanting to join the force because lets face it, SOME would make better security guards than LEOs. My dream job is to be a Maine State Trooper. wish I knew that 20 years ago. LOL

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
OCed at the prom yesterday, had no major problems although i was disturbed by the arrogance of a few members of the portland PD. All around me people were breaking laws, i.e., drinking in public, shooting off fireworks, fights, you name it and the several members of portlands finest had nothing better to do than stare me down and try to intimidate me. When i approached a few members of the portland FD and PD and kindly asked to have my pic taken with them the FD was all for it the law enforcement officer was completely rude, awnsering me with "ABSOLUTLEY NOT!" after the photo was taken with the fire department i told the PD i completely understood and meant no disrespect. She lightened up and told me and my wife she had no problem with me having a gun. G Thanks. Later I asked 3 officers if they would mind taking a picture with me and was met with basicly the same response. told it was policy. with that i thanked them for there service and tried to shake their hands. Two shook it the third walked away from me with out so much as a thank you. All night i saw that officer staring at me, pointing at me and laughing with his buddies. I have nothing but total RESPECT for members of law enforcement....but this just pisses me off, some LEOs are a complete disgrace and embarrassment to the badge, to their state, to their community, and to the country. It doesnt bother me they would not take a photo with me, i completely understand the reasons they would not, what bothers me is the way in which i was treated by them. just my opinion.

you don't by chance, have any of these fine upstanding officers names do you? If you do please PM them to me.

Gunslinger

I would venture to say you do not have "total" respect for cops. Why the hell should you when they act like dicks.

carry for myself

carried at Kohls biddeford today. was shopping for some slacks, dress shirt and a new belt.

had been in the store for about 15 mintues when i saw through the doors biddefords finest pull up out front.
didnt really think much of it and picked out a nice pair of pleated slacks.

officer came in and spoke to a woman who had called on a totally different complaint for about 5 mintues then noticed me and my gun over by the belts. and headed my way. convo as follows.

Officer: hey there, whats up bro.
Me :nada. trying to find a leather that wont give way after a month or two.
Officer: try APT. 9 , good quality and hold the weight of a gun , its what i use when i carry off duty.
Officer: glock huh? 9mm?
Me: haha no . .40 same as your model 22 but a 1/2 inch shorter. its the model 23
Officer: identify my piece through the holster? pretty good eye!
Me: nah you all carry 22's. was a S&W 5906 before that, and some had 659's if i remember correctly.
Officer: haha profiling our carry rigs for 15 years, not your first rodeo i take it
Me: nope i've test driven the car, bought it, paid for it and had an oil change.
Officer: ever CC?
Me: damnit. now i have to show you the permit. nice fake out, i see how you operate
Officer: nope dont wanna see it. your not concealing. anyway i have to run. and those Apt. 9 belts look great and hold up better. have a good day sir.

he leaves the store . bought my stuff and he was right this 2" Apt.9 belt is sturdy as hell!

thats my LEO encounter for the week. ;-)

wrightme

Officer: ever CC?
Me: damnit. now i have to show you the permit. nice fake out, i see how you operate
Officer: nope dont wanna see it. your not concealing. anyway i have to run. and those Apt. 9 belts look great and hold up better. have a good day sir.

he leaves the store . bought my stuff and he was right this 2" Apt.9 belt is sturdy as hell!

thats my LEO encounter for the week. ;-)

Well, if encounters must happen, that is excellent. He likely satisfied his "LE function curiosity" through the conversation, and did it without really bugging you. Good.

matthewg123

oc ing at trader joes portland

not a LEO encounter, but still worth reading.

Went in Sunday to buy some brunch ingredients for my hungover friends who crashed at my place after the red sox game Saturday night. Walked past many folks, passing them with my gun side, not trying to hide the holster with the shopping basket. a few looks, no questions. two cashiers smiled and went about the buisness of bagging my goods and I was able to walk out smiling!

now, later that afternoon in Windsor, a guy running a convenience store on route 17 decided he was going to try to "inform me" of the laws, proceeding to say that Its unneccessary to open carry and that I looked like I was asking for a fight. his arguement was as follows.... "man, what would happen if some guy outside a bar in Augusta or somewhere walked up to you and started to act 'like a cowboy or somethin'?' " My answer was simply "Why would I be walking around augusta bbars when I live in Portland, and who on earth would walk up to an OPEN CARRYING individual and try to instigate a fight? When this didn't work, I assured the dude that I would keep on walking, since such individuals were not worth my exhaling breath.

So a good encounter and an annoying uneducated one as well. I guess they balance themselves out. What is the method commonly used in dealing with such people that obviously aren't going to educate themselves by reading Maine's gun laws? Do you just smile and please them with your smarts? Is it rude to just ignore such instances?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
not a LEO encounter, but still worth reading.

Went in Sunday to buy some brunch ingredients for my hungover friends who crashed at my place after the red sox game Saturday night. Walked past many folks, passing them with my gun side, not trying to hide the holster with the shopping basket. a few looks, no questions. two cashiers smiled and went about the buisness of bagging my goods and I was able to walk out smiling!

now, later that afternoon in Windsor, a guy running a convenience store on route 17 decided he was going to try to "inform me" of the laws, proceeding to say that Its unneccessary to open carry and that I looked like I was asking for a fight. his arguement was as follows.... "man, what would happen if some guy outside a bar in Augusta or somewhere walked up to you and started to act 'like a cowboy or somethin'?' " My answer was simply "Why would I be walking around augusta bbars when I live in Portland, and who on earth would walk up to an OPEN CARRYING individual and try to instigate a fight? When this didn't work, I assured the dude that I would keep on walking, since such individuals were not worth my exhaling breath.

So a good encounter and an annoying uneducated one as well. I guess they balance themselves out. What is the method commonly used in dealing with such people that obviously aren't going to educate themselves by reading Maine's gun laws? Do you just smile and please them with your smarts? Is it rude to just ignore such instances?

Typically simply educate them. You never know, perhaps a *great* encounter with you will get them more interested so they do some research, get on the forums here and voila! We have another OC'er :)

P.S. make SURE you carry a voice recorder in Portland. We have had a few instances recently there. I believe I cleared everything up with the Asst. Police Chief though.