• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry and Tattoo's.

eye95

Two things in life that MUST be earned: trust and respect
thumbsup.gif

I disagree. Respect is something I give until one's individual actions warrant the loss of that respect. That can happen very quickly, though, and is a long time in being earned back when it does.

Lady Glock

I disagree. Respect is something I give until one's individual actions warrant the loss of that respect. That can happen very quickly, though, and is a long time in being earned back when it does.

I disagree. I will give respect though the person hasn't earned it...and withdraw it quickly if they show me they don't deserve it. It IS earned...it's just about giving the benefit of the doubt until they prove one way or the other. Trust is totally seperate though...I DON'T trust until I'm sure of the person's intentions.

XDFDE45

I used to think that way until I met certain individuals who seemed like good people and then turned out to be the exact opposite. I got burned trusting these people and that is when I changed my outlook on the trust and respect being earned instead of given. Guess I just got a little cynical because of it is all.

eye95

I used to think that way until I met certain individuals who seemed like good people and then turned out to be the exact opposite. I got burned trusting these people and that is when I changed my outlook on the trust and respect being earned instead of given. Guess I just got a little cynical because of it is all.

Respect is not trust. It is simply a recognition of the value of personhood. Trust is something that wisdom demands that we give only after careful consideration.

KRM59

Being Tattooed and OCing

you can never control the minds of other , but Tattoo.s have never caused me any issues with Leo's or sheeple. i say carry on.

Last edited:

Sc0tt

"[expletive deleted] them!" is a silly attitude. Dismissing the thinking of others out of hand is the surest way to get others to disrespect your thinking.

No its not if somone is trying to assert that I shouldnt be allowed to use my consituitonal right becuase I have tattoos then why do I care if I offend them, I allready have no respect for these people.

I disagree

<Sarcasm> SHOCKING! </sacrasm> You disagree with everything

eye95

"[expletive deleted] them!" is a silly attitude. Dismissing the thinking of others out of hand is the surest way to get others to disrespect your thinking. I am not saying that you should change your thinking in deference to others, just that you should have the same respect for others that you demand for yourself.

Maybe some folks simply don't want others to respect their ideas. However, that is also silly--a silly bit of self-centeredness. All of our best interests are wrapped up in others. It is far more effective win over some others (in the full recognition that another group of some others will be lost) than it is to dismiss all others as inconsequential.

No its not if somone is trying to assert that I shouldnt be allowed to use my consituitonal right becuase I have tattoos then why do I care if I offend them, I allready have no respect for these people.

[And, in reply to my second reply, of which only the first sentence was quoted:]

<Sarcasm> SHOCKING! </sacrasm> You disagree with everything

I just thought I'd fully quote the two posts of mine (that you partially quoted) so that folks could get the full context and notice that I was not being dismissive in my replies (as you were being in your reply to my second post above), but providing thoughtful responses.

(BTW, I remember noting the ironic juxtaposition in time of two of my replies in different threads in which you posted. In this thread, I expressed disapproval for a reaction you posted. In the other, I defended your position in that thread against the criticism of another poster. So sorry that I "disagree with everything." Moving on.)

Last edited:

KiltedRonin

ok, so picked me up a nice serpa retention holster and a nice new belt mag case... and will be going to the dinner tonight in Woodbridge with some of the other folks. thanks for the thoughts and such on the subject guys and gals :)

VegasGeorge

It used to be that the only people with tattoos were old sailors who'd gotten drunk on shore leave, and prison gang members. It was the association of tattoos with criminal gangs that gave tattoos a bad rep in the first place. Of course today tattoos have become trendy and cool and just about everyone has them. But, it would be wise to remember how that came about. Popular culture has sunk to unprecedented low levels in art, music, clothing, and personal appearance. This has happened largely through the glorification of prison culture. It can be seen and heard in rap music, ill fitting clothing, and yes, tattoos. Prison issue pants don't fit, so they hang down low. Often belts and shoe laces are not issued. And prisoners cover themselves with tattoos for various crime related reasons.

So if you have tattoos you should expect law enforcement types to take a second look at you. Even though tattoos are common today, they still carry the traditional prison, gang, criminal association in the minds of conservative law and order types, especially the older ones. You might think that's unfair in your case. But you need to understand that by getting tattoos you bought into that whole pop culture originating from prisons and gangs. That is where it came from.

It is against the law for felons to possess guns. And, the police reasonably relate felons with those who have been in prison or in gangs. So, when they see guns and tattoos on the same person, it's understandable that their interest might be aroused.

Last edited:

sst0185

I have the same concerns and also would like peoples opinion on it. I have a bunch of tattoos on my right arm, half sleeve, forearm, wrist, and plan on getting many more tattoos eventually.

I haven't OC'd, but I know people already look at me differently, so I have a feeling I'll get hassled more than some of the other OC'ers.

You don't OC?

sst0185

So, I have been CC'ing for years now, never really considered the OC as an option. I am Asian and I am tattooed to my wrist, granted, my right arm is a strong representation of the Gadsden Flag with thirteen rattles and over one inch tall letters stating "DONT TREAD ON ME" I know I have been treated differently because of being inked in many other circumstances, IE profiled, and feel that I would see more "attention" then I really want to have to deal with from LEO's and sheeple if I open carried.

So, what I am getting at, do you foresee any "issues" for someone in my situation? Discussion?

Thanks in advance.
Ronin

You live in VA, we have it good here thanks to the VCDL and people on the VA forum. I'm still a noob and I would like to thank the good people that paved the road for us.

Join the VCDL please!

And welcome, carry on!

Butch00

The largest tat I have is on my right bicep and says: USMC Death Before Dishonor....and has the eagle, globe, and anchor.
Never been hassled because of tats.

carry for myself

i have no tattoo's. where i live it has become too common. people go and get 2-5 of them a month around here. spend all their money. now, i in no am i insulting tattoo's. i want to get one eventually. but the whole "inked" "body modification" trend that floats around has no meaning. people are getting "ICP" and "JB" tattooed on them to make their friends think they are cool. if your gonna get a tat. get something important to you. really important cause its there for life. not something thats cool today. hell fonzie was cool. today a fonzie tat would be laughed at lol

as to the OP. You carry a gun. odds are people will notice that before the tattoo's. just smile and say hi :) your attitude, and the way you carry yourself will leave a much larger impression on the person than the art will.

i carry daily. everywhere i go generally. i've tested the theory of dressing like a putz. *wangster*, or nice. but the entire time i kept my up beat friendly attitude. noone noticed how i was dressed. only how i acted.

"the cover of the book may be stained or dusty, but if you give someone a look inside, they will read the words as they were written and forget the dressing" ;-) happy OCing

Last edited:

eye95

Folks do notice.

Folks will pass judgment based on what they notice.

Use those two bits of absolute truth as you will.

merc460

i have no tattoo's. where i live it has become too common. people go and get 2-5 of them a month around here. spend all their money. now, i in no am i insulting tattoo's. i want to get one eventually. but the whole "inked" "body modification" trend that floats around has no meaning. people are getting "ICP" and "JB" tattooed on them to make their friends think they are cool. if your gonna get a tat. get something important to you. really important cause its there for life. not something thats cool today. hell fonzie was cool. today a fonzie tat would be laughed at lol

as to the OP. You carry a gun. odds are people will notice that before the tattoo's. just smile and say hi :) your attitude, and the way you carry yourself will leave a much larger impression on the person than the art will.

i carry daily. everywhere i go generally. i've tested the theory of dressing like a putz. *wangster*, or nice. but the entire time i kept my up beat friendly attitude. noone noticed how i was dressed. only how i acted.

"the cover of the book may be stained or dusty, but if you give someone a look inside, they will read the words as they were written and forget the dressing" ;-) happy OCing

Unfortunately, not everyone can read. :(

turbodog

I disagree. Respect is something I give until one's individual actions warrant the loss of that respect.

I agree with much of what you've had to say in this thread eye95, but not this one. Respect shouldn't be granted automatically. Is a police officer giving you respect when he calls you "sir" while talking to you? Not a bit. He's being courteous as part of his training. Courtesy I'll give you freely all day long, but respect is earned in my book.

eye95

My default position being the showing of respect more often than not turns out to be correct--the person deserved the respectful treatment. Of all the officers who stopped me, wrong as they might have been on the law, I was glad that I showed respect for them and lost that respect for only two of them. One clearly wanted to arrest me (and probably would have if the encounter had been one-on-one), and the other was a stubborn sergeant, who kept insisting that she knew the law, even as she was flipping through the code, and refusing help in locating the definition of "trespass." She was wrong. Embarrassingly.